Sunday, July 31, 2005

Ahhhh......

This past weekend was storybook tale of doing absolutely nothing, and being very productive at it. Some friends decided to have a weekend long party, at a relative's beach house in Fernandina Beach, FL. The plan was to show up, and forget about your cares. There was no formal agenda. Just show up, swim, play, drink, relax, eat, drink, relax some more, drink, relax, etc....

The weekend was spent well, in my book. I worked very hard at working not at all. It was a great time, spent in great company, and was sorely needed by my overtaxed body. I don't intend to be a workaholic, it just works out that way. The weekend of nothingness was just what the doctor ordered.

Okay, I could have done without the jellyfish sting... In the "real world", sea turtles eat jellyfish. Not this Turtle! The jellyfish definitely won that round.

I grew up near the beach, and spent many a day basking in the sun, splashing in the waves, and having a generally, beach-going-wise, fun time. Never had I had an encounter like this. Yes, I had gotten brushed by the occasional broken tendril, which kind of sucked, but nothing like this...

The weekend had been going splendidly, and I was thoroughly enjoying myself. A majority of the party-goers decided to frolic upon the beach. I spent some time relaxing under the sun shade we'd erected, watching friends throw about a football. They'd come up with an interesting twist: miss a catchable ball, and do two pushups. Throw an uncatchable ball, and do two pushups... (It's a version of an old drinking game we play - spill a beer.....) Being that I played defense, and rarely (read: never) handled the ball, I decided that my fat old body was not going to join in on the festivities, as I'd be doing pushups 'til sundown.... "What the hey", I thought. "Why not go for a swim?" I hadn't been in the water for 5 minutes when my entire arm lit up on fire. For the briefest moment, I thought I'd been bitten by a shark. The pain was quite intense. I waded to shore, and back to the shade, and discovered that my elbow was swelling nicely, not to mention turning an interesting shade of red, and hurting like the blazes. I'd had a close encounter with a rather pissed off jellyfish, and he'd let me know it. Luckily, amidst all the home remedies being shouted (No, T, you can not pee on my arm!), someone had something that actually worked. The pain went away, and did most of the swelling. I still have a couple of spots that are sore, red and lumpy, but it's going away. My advice? Avoid this at all costs.

Anyway, even with the sting, it was a great weekend. I shared the company of some lovely people, had fun, and got to unwind. Who can ask for anything more?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home