Wednesday, April 09, 2008

Maxwell's Silver Hammer....

went bang bang on my head. It would seem that I gave myself a minor concussion last Friday eve. Sheeps had come up for the weekend, and was helping me make the bed. (Yes, I actually wash the sheets every now and then!) While bending over to tuck the elasticized fitted sheet over the corner, I slammed my head into one of the shelves over my bed. Hard. I "whited" out, and fell, luckily onto the bed. Sheeps wanted me to call in sick to work, but it is next to impossible to call in and get a replacement 15 minutes before your shift on a Friday. It turned out that they were short-handed as it was... Being woozy, I had Sheeps drive me in, and just worked through the massive headache. The headache that has managed to hang on tenaciously, but it is getting better.

The bar has been weird. The Fire Marshall has been checking over us the last couple of months. All the bars in the area, actually. They’re making sure that no one exceeds their maximum occupancy limits. Which really bites. I can understand the safety aspect of it, trying to keep the crowds down in case of emergency, but they’re really hurting the incomes of these bars, not to mention the drastically reduced tips of the bartenders… We stand around, most of the night, with our hands in our pockets, doing nothing. It is hurting the bar owners, and it is hurting the employees. 120 people in my bar is next to nothing. It hurts worse when you have cheapskates who don’t tip taking up room that a tipping customer could occupy, but we’ve got to hold the crowds outside, with a “one in, one out” policy. It really sucks. I don’t know how much more of this I can take.

I am pretty sure it is one of Bernie Mac’s little schemes. Bernie Machen comes from Utah and is a “Super Mormon, don’t drink it’s a sin and you’ll burn in hell” kind of University President. He is actively trying to get all the bars around the university to shut down. What he isn’t thinking about, and doesn’t want to hear, is that the students are going to party any way. They’ll still go to bars and get hammered. Only thing is, they’ll have to drive to the bars, as there won’t be any within walking distance. That’s gonna put a whole bunch of drunk drivers on the road. Folks who would normally just leave and stagger the couple of blocks home. Now, they’re going to be getting behind the wheel to get home.

I’m almost glad I’m getting out of the business soon. I will be quitting the bartending soon for several reasons. Sheeps is moving up, and that’ll help with the bills, so I won’t need to bust my butt to get everything paid. The tips have just sucked lately, and more so because of the limited occupancy. And more than anything else, I’m just getting too old for this shit. I’m tired of working ‘til 4 in the morning. I’m tired of dealing with the crap of people half my age. I’m just plain tired. I think it’s getting time to go. Yeah, I’ll miss it. Probably a lot. But I think I’ll enjoy my extra time more. Hey?

4 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

You know, when you break your arm, or get a concussion on the battlefield it's a NSTIW story. When you break your arm gesticulating, and concuss yourself making the bed...well you might consider a bit of retcon action. ;-)

Sorry to hear about all the owies, dude. Hopefully you eventually got the brain pan looked at.

See ya soon. :-)

12:26 PM  
Blogger Alysoun said...

I feel your pain, T! and TAKE IT EASY......concussions are NO joke.

8:41 AM  
Blogger dmarks said...

ouch! Glad you woke up!

9:07 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dude, ya gotta be more careful! Can't have you going to your wedding all banged up. People will think that Sheeps has been beating you. :o)

10:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home