Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Mmmmm.... Spicy Lambmeatspamballs!

So... After the local SCA meeting, a group of us went to dinner, as per usual. This is not really the interesting part. Okay, the company was nice and the conversations extremely varied, as usual, but that's the usual. The unusual came when we departed and I had to run to the grocery next door to grab some cat food.

I only had one item, so, naturally, jumped into the express lane. Yes, I did the obligatory Lifegame: Count the items the guy in front of you has to make sure it's under 10. "That rat-bastard has 11 items! Call the grocer police!"

Okay, time out! What the hell is a lifegame? It is one of those little games you play with yourself in real life. Things like counting the items of the person in front of you in the express lane. Walking into a movie theater and scanning the audience to pick out the group that you know is going to annoy you all throughout the show... We all have them. We may not realize we have them, but we have them.

An any rate, I was countin', and that's where I was brought up a bit short. He was purchasing a tube of wasabi paste, two packs of lamb chops, a bag of frozen, pre-cooked meatballs, a package of parmesian encrusted croutons, and a can of spam. Uh.....? The first lifegame disappeared in a cloud of WTF. It was replaced, suddenly with a new game: What the hell is this guy cooking??

Typically, the folks in the express lane are purchasing missing, last minute items for meals, or enough food to make only one meal. Following this logic, this gentleman was creating a gastronomic nightmare! I shudder at the mere thought of the mixture... Even the true carnivore in me hesitates at that purposed dish.

So, that observation offers up a couple of challenges for you gentle readers. One, is a new lifegame for you - "What's for dinner?" Next time you're in line at the grocer, take a gander at the choices of the shopper in front of you, and try to figure out what they're making. Your second challenge is figure out what lifegames do you play? Come on! You know you can name at least one! So, tell me. What are your lifegames?

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Brilliant concept, Herr Schildkröte. I had never considered it before, but I have blogged about my minor obsession with making sure the cars in handicapped parking spots have the appropriate documentation.

I haven't seen any bizarre grocery purchases lately, but your tale reminds me of a friend of my brother's from high school. He worked at a major grocery store as a bagger. One day an elderly gentleman was purchasing a cucumber, a jar of petroleum jelly, and some D-cell batteries. Jason lost it, was laughing so hard he couldn't breathe, and got himself fired.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Yeah, I'd prolly get fired too...

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home