Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Congress made me late for work....

So... I like technology. I get a big kick out of techno gadgets. I like "toys". Even in the simplest things around the house. Take, for example, my alarm clock... No ordinary alarm clock will do. No. I have a fancy dancy little alarm with multiple alarms that can be set for different days, and it has a satellite connection! It keeps itself up to date, and if the power goes out, it automatically reaches out to that magical little atomic clock somewhere in Colorado, and resets itself to the right time. No fuss, no muss on my part. I don't have to worry about setting it every evening, as it is already programmed for my work week, and I don't have to worry about power outages.

And... it knows when Daylight Savings Time is, and resets itself for that. Awesome! Or, not. Yeah, more like, not.

Herein the problem lies. Congress, for whatever reason, changed DST to a week later than usual. The rest of the world changed last weekend, but for us, or, most specifically, U.S., we don't fall back until next weekend.

No one bothered telling my alarm clock this. Apparently, computer chips don't keep up with the current news. So, doing what it was made to do, my alarm reset itself, and fell back an hour for DST. A week early.

The alarm went off this morning, and I reached over and turned it off. Didn't even hit the snooze, as I usually do. Nope, I was going to give myself that extra 9 minutes. I took a casual shower, and was taking my time getting dressed.

At one point, I happened to glance at the cable box on top of the TV. 8:20. Great. Another 20 minutes before I have to leave. No... wait! That's not right! It's 7:20. 7:20!! Grab the watch, which says 8:20. Maybe it's wrong too! Phone! 8:20!! Crap!!!!!

Called in, and then ran to work, where I had to tell the story of my stupidy all day long. At least I was a source of amusement.

The worst part is that I'll have to get myself up "an hour earlier" than usual all week, as the clock will only reset itself in the middle of the night if I fix it. I hate technology.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If you hear the clock muttering something about a phased plasma rifle in the 40watt range, get out of the house!!!

7:39 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home