Tuesday, August 28, 2007

Summer Spectacular

Well, I haven't posted in a while.... It's been a slow summer. Not a lot to tout.

I could post on all the political oustings, but I don't do politics. Not generally. Too much heartache. It usually ends up with neither side being influenced, and bad feelings all around. No thanks.

I could whine about the total suck factor at the bar, but there's no use. It is over, and business is picking up, even though people are still acting like buttheads. It is the same crowd from the summer, but with the usual fall crowd thrown in. Damn, but I need to write that book on bar ettiquette....

I could kvetch about the lack of quality time Sheeps and I have had lately, as she's been sewing her little hooves off for the upcoming Coronation. She's been busy, so we haven't really been able to spend a lot of time together. We've been together, but it has mostly been me sitting around entertaining myself while she works. It is important, and it makes her happy to do it, but I'll be glad when it is over. I want stuff for me! Kidding! I want to be able to spend more time actually interacting - getting new stuff is just a bonus! Kidding again! I miss her. Even though she's been around, I still miss her.... Thank goodness it is all over this weekend! The sewing part, that is.....

How about a Summer Movie Guide! Well, we haven't really seen that many... We did see the big "3" sequels. Spidey3. Shrek 3. Pirates 3. They were pretty much over-rated. Granted, I enjoyed all of them, but they just.... lacked something. Ratatouille was good. Very good. I'd venture to say it was one of the best things Pixar has done. Evan Almighty was fun, but nobody beats George Burns as God, and it was, essentially, a direct remake of Bruce Almighty. Ocean's 13 was enjoyable, but only if you like the franchise. I happen to like that whole "sting" kind of cerebral action. And I'm an old Rat Pack fan, so...., yeah. Harry Potter was Harry Potter. It was good, but a lot darker than the rest. This is the turning point of the books, so it was fitting. Again, enjoyable, if you're a fan. The Last Legion... An interesting "historical" movie. Fairly accurate in it's depiction of the era, actually, and a decent movie - if you ignore the last 3 minutes of the film. It is almost like they tacked the last scene on, to explain everything to a moronically dull American audience. I felt it totally unnecessary.... Then there was my favorite film of the summer - The Bourne Ultimatum. It, too, was a 3, but didn't suffer the "curse". Not a dull moment in the film. Pretty much action packed from start to finish. No special effects, just lots of car chases and fight scenes. Ten alternative uses for a book... Good stuff! I really enjoyed it.

Okay, so this was a cheesy post, full of nothingness, but that's been the summer. Fall is here, the students are back, football is starting, and cool weather is blessedly not too far away. I'm sure there will be more interesting posts to come....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Ratatouille didn't suck? Really? Even Emily, who's favorite movie is Night of the Comet, thought the trailers looked lame. I'll have to rethink that when the DVD comes out. I was coerced into seeing Ocean's 13 even though I hadn't seen the other two. 'Don't worry', they said, 'you don't need to have seen them.' Oh yes you do. I was bored to tears. Ah well. And we definately want to see the Bourne Ultimatum, but since we've been living 200+ miles apart we haven't yet. I totally agree with your assesment of the 'big 3'. By the by, did you see Transformers? Opinion?

K,bai.

4:59 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Honestly? No, it didn't suck. Not at all. It is a completely whacked concept - a sewer rat that has a knack for smelling out food combinations - but Pixar is known for their "left field" concepts, and they make it work. The artwork is stunning. Their graphic artists keep getting better and better, and Paris (the city, not the whore) makes a great backdrop. The story is pretty strong, funny and even has a moral for the kiddies - you can do anything you want to do, no matter who (or what) you are.

We see "talking animal" movies every so often, as a "palette cleanser" from some of the heavier fare we take in. Didn't regret this one at all. Truly enjoyed it.

There's a lot of "inside stuff" going on in "13"... You really DO need to have seen the others. You can follow the movie, but won't catch most of the gags, and won't really understand the characters...

Again, high praise for Bourne. One of the best action flicks around. See it on the big screen, if you can. Go potty before you sit down. Have all snacks on hand. Don't blink. Seriously. There are no "slow parts".... There are incredibly long scenes, but they're so packed with action that you really don't notice. You don't have time to. There's a few "there's no way!" moments, but you just don't care, because you're too busy rooting him on. Get home. Get the wife. Take her to the movies.

Didn't see Transformers. No real desire to, actually. I've heard great things, I've heard disparaging things... Too many extremes. People either love it or hate it. Part of me wants to see it, just to see how they handle the live action aspect, but most of me just came in too late for the toys, so I lack that draw. It is my fear that I will end up on the "hate it" end of the stick. I'll prolly catch it when it comes out on DVD.

12:55 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Emily was a big Transformers fan, so we saw it. I had no emotional stake in the film, but watching giant robots trash each other, and the surrounding architecture, appealed to the Godzilla fan in me.
;-)

5:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home