Tuesday, June 19, 2007

Shoe In...

Don't get me wrong... Paul Potts is an amazing singer, and represented the "everyman" in "Britain's Got Talent". He was a mobile phone salesman who got cut a break. But...... He was, pretty much, a guaranteed winner. His victory was a foregone conclusion. I don't say this as a slight against him, but he really didn't have any competition.

Let's look at the other contestants, shall we?

There were the "Kombat Breakdancers". While they were.... good.... for breakdancers....., they really didn't do anything special. They performed your basic breakdancing moves. I've seen better in the Underground, in London.

Then there were "Bar Wizards". They were "flair" artists. You know... the bottle flippin' bartenders. Think Tom Cruise in "Cocktail". They were good. Very good. Has nuttin' to do with tending bar, but it was what it was. However, the winner of this competition gets to perform before the queen. I don't think jiggin' up a couple of Purple Hooters and Redheaded Sluts is really the thing Queenie would be entertained by.

Next, little Connie Talbot. Darlin' little Connie. She was, again, what she was - a 5 year old with a nice voice. For a 5 year old.... Not really a country-wide talent show winner.

We also have Damon Scott and Bubbles. A guy with a cheap monkey puppet. You know the kind... the overpriced things they sell at theme parks where the legs Velcro about your waist, and the arms about your neck. The monkey "danced" and karaoked to Michael Jackson. Now, if the guy was a ventriloquist, and actually sang the song, I'd be impressed. But it was just some guy with his arm up a nylon sock's bottom, jerking about. Jim Henson brought a piece of felt to life and made me believe. Damon Scott was just plain unbelievable.

Bessie Curzons sang and danced her way into our hearts. Or did she? Precocious child, definitely. Knows how to work a crowd. Screamed "Jon Benet"..... Something terribly wrong about a 6 year old, in a top hat and tails, singing "Get me to the church on time". Just another cute child. Not a show winner.

And then there was Paul. While his story has touched many hearts, and rightly so, it was no contest. He stood head and shoulders over the competition. There was no other choice. I still cheer him and his victory, and am glad to see that he shall meet with some success, but, sadly, the choice was obvious.... Oh, well, way to go anyway, Paul!

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

It reminds me of my former roommate Todd. He is an FSU alum, and diehard Seminoles fan. I don't really follow college football, but whenever there was a 'Noles game on he'd hang on every moment. Ocassionally I'd peek in, but when the score was Seminoles 43, Podunk U 3, and Todd would still be hooting and hollering like it was a massive victory instead of a fish-barrel machine gun massacre I just had to leave. I much prefer a close contest to a total blowout.

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

While it seems that the competition wasn't that good, Paul Potts touched something in many people.

When I hear him sing from his heart, the tears come to my eyes. And he seems to have moved a great number of people the same way.

I'm glad that he has gotten the break he did, and that the money will help him back on a good path.

KA

9:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home