Monday, May 07, 2007

Kids these days....

Y'know.... I have to turn off my cell phone in the theater, so as not to disturb my fellow moviewatchers. Common courtesy, right? So what the flying hell makes you think that it is okay for your misbegotten, snot nosed little darlings to play their Gameboys all throughout the show?? Yeah... The "dinkle-diddly-deedley-dee" music backdrop really added something to my movie viewing experience. And hey, the glowing dual screens weren't in the least bit distracting... WTF?? How can a parent allow this to occur, even after people complain?? We ended up moving seats, so that we could enjoy the movie we paid for...

I watched a little girl completely rearrange a display (of alphabetized name stickers), and the parents did nothing. Then, this 3-4 year old little girl left the store. The parents did not notice. She walked away from them, and out the front door. I had to point it out to them.

Then there was a little girl in another store. I want this. No. Shriiiiiiiiiiek. Okay, you can have it. I witnessed this happen three times. Those were just the three I saw.... Wow. Talk about progeny whipped......

What has happened to parenting skills? Do they even exist any more? When did it become okay to not watch your children, teach them manners, and keep control of them in public? Yes, I would have got a "whupping" for behaving like that. Yes, I know it is no longer acceptable, but some form of discipline whatsoever would be nice.... Wouldn't it? Am I wrong? Shouldn't parents raise their children to be responsible and respecting?? No? Maybe?

Then there is the whole Alec Baldwin fiasco. I am quite sure we are not getting the whole story here. Apparently, Kim Bassinger is keeping his daughter from him, refusing him visits and not allowing him to speak with her. While he was out of line, his frustration is a bit understandable... And who leaked this voicemail, anyway?? I'm sure it wasn't an 11 year old girl....

Sigh. Okay, I'm done.

Incidentally, we saw "Blades of Glory". I am not a huge Wil Ferrell fan, nor did I have any desire to see this flick. None. But, it was starting at the right time, and Sheeps wanted to see it, so we went. That being said, I nearly pee'd myself, and laughed so hard I cried. This movie is wrong! It goes beyond being "shades of wrong" and is, in fact, entire spectrums of wrong. I'd recommend it highly (as long as you understand that "wrongness" is its appeal.....)

7 Comments:

Blogger Alysoun said...

As a parent of two, I could not agree with you more. My two have issues, as you know, but the Spouse and I have made a point lo these 12 years to not allow those issues to be an excuse for them to NOT be civilized, properly behaved human beings.
I stand appalled when I watch "parents" like you describe - they give the lot of us a bad name.
My kids may be hyperactive and overopiniated but I will tell you this, they know that when Mom & Dad say no, we mean it. When they get out of the car to go to the movies, the game boys and iPods stay in the car. When they misbehave they get punished, not rewarded.
I feel that my job to my society, as a parent, is to raise up the savages into civilized participants.
Parents who abdicate that responsibility need a whupping of their own.

hugs,
Alysoun

7:27 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You are singing my song here- people with rotten kids suck. Here is the thing- I am not sure parents realize how much their kids are total jerks. Case in point- my best friend and I would always point out and complain about horribly behaved children. Now she has a kid that is the biggest asshole I have ever met and does not seem to notice. Parental blinders?

7:33 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

One of the reasons my wife and I are such infrequent movie goers is because our ADHD poster child can't sit still long enough to watch a commercial, let alone a 2 hour movie, so rather than inflict her restlessness on the world, we wait for video, or get a sitter when the flick must be seen on the big screen. I actually got an editorial published in the Palm Beach Post on this subject. Parents today seem to have forgotten that raising children means giving up some of the freedoms we enjoyed as the non-spawned. And the capitulate rather than confront mentality is the main cause for my agony over the last 32 weeks. I feel your pain, mon frer.

4:21 PM  
Blogger Alysoun said...

Marius - Our own ADHD poster child kept us out of the movie theater (except when we could get a sitter) until he was 6. I feel your pain. But, for the last few years, we *have* been able to take him (and his older brother) out to the movies where they do now know how to behave. Point being, it DOES get better, I promise.
And, I completely agree with you - since when did having children mean that our lives DON'T change and we still get to do what we did when we had none? I don't get that mentality, either.

5:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I have been appalled at the antics of children and their parents. Our society seems to have fallen into the spell of "no responsibility" for the adults and their offspring.

That does not fly in my house. We have taken the time to think of others in bringing up our child. We have taken it upon ourselves to satisfy her curiousity without detriment, to be respectful to others, and that is is smarter to not draw attention at most times.

When she was little and we attended events, there were many courts one of us missed when she became vocal. And we were thanked for that.

She is not perfect, as much as I would like her to be, but she tries hard. And we reward that behavior with more time and fun.

And we do not own any sort of game system - she has an imagination for that.

- KA

6:30 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somewhere, somehow, we learned to respect other people at some minimal level. And for us, as parents, part of that respect includes not inflicting our children's poor behavior on others. I've walked out of stores dragging a screaming child behind me. I've sat alone at a table in a restaurant and told the server to pack all the food to go.

I think we all place a high priority on correct behavior outside of the home. I know we're doing something right because when my girls are asked to spend time at a friend's house, they are always invited back.

Oh, and how come we all have ADD/ADHD kids?

11:51 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Karma, Heather dear. Karma. Our parents are giggling themselves to sleep every night.
;-)

4:31 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home