Thursday, May 31, 2007

Hyoo Meel Eee Tay

That's humility (with a really bad french accent), if you couldn't piece it together. More in a moment, but first, a little life recap, to get us there...

I no longer work at the Haunted Coffee Shop. The reasons are multi-fold, with no animosity held, but primarily owing to the fact that I really, really, really need insurance. My knees are bad, especially the left, and I need to do something about it. This promises to be quite scary, and quite expensive, but I now have insurance (or will, when it kicks in) and a loving Sheeps to get me through it.

Okay, back to the humility part. One of my squires likes to extrapolate upon the qualities of chivalry on another list, to make people think. So let it be with me, here. (Which, oddly enough, said squire does not read.... But I digress...)

Humility is a very important part of the code of Chivalry. It is defined as the quality or condition of being humble; modest opinion or estimate of one's own importance, rank, etc. Simply enough, don't get a big head. Don't get too big for your britches. Do not overvalue your own self worth. And for heaven's sake, don't lose your freakin' mind, start acting overly important, and treat people as though they are below you!!

More than anything, this comes from a young lady at the new job. Mostly, the job is great. The bennies rock, the people are friendly, and the future looks bright. But there is "A"... Isn't there always an "A"? It would seem that "A" threw her hat in the ring for a promotion. She didn't get it. She is, as a result, quitting. She has developed a rather surly, holier than thou attitude since this occurred. She is better than everyone else, and bosses folks around, even though she has no authority to do so. She is also buddies with one of the "team captains" in the department, and, for some unexplained reason, thinks this association somehow grants her some kind of power. I have only known her for a very short time, but I've already picked up on it, and it has been confirmed by my coworkers.

To sum up, she is acting very self important, and belittling of others (regardless of whether she has the authority to do so or no...). It is a minor irritation, knowing she will be leaving soon, but it is annoying, nonetheless. I can't imagine having to endure for any length of time...

Being in a position of importance does not make one important. Being good at that position, and making life better place for all, does.

One needs to know their own value, and know that they are, indeed, valuable, but one must not overstep these bounds, nor lord what power one possesses (real or imagined) over others. Be good unto one another, and party on, dudes! Okay, just be as good as possible, and maybe the world will be a little nicer place to live.

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I realize that this may be somewhat contrary to the purpose of this post, but I would like to relate that I recall a certain reptillian knight who has a quarter sewn into the back of his white belt(or at least his first one) so that, should he ever get too full of himself he could call someone who actually gave a damn. That move impressed the fertilizer out of me. Just wanted to say.

5:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home