Wednesday, May 16, 2007

What the...????

Okay, two does not a trend make, but yet it is, disturbingly, two too many...

I refer to commercials. Specifically, commercials in which children are speaking with parents, in the bathroom. More specifically, while dad is in the tub.

There is one for the royalty of the burger world, in which the kids are in the bathroom, begging mom to go out for the latest worthless toy based on an annoying cartoon character, that can only be gotten from a Joy-Joy Meal. Mom says, "as soon as Dad gets out of the bath..." And Dad is sitting there, in the same room, bathing.

And there is yet another for third rate search engine, in which a boy is talking to Dad about the inadequacies of other "algorithms". Dad is, naturally, in the tub.

What gives?? Okay, we already know that BK Steakhouse has lost their collective friggin minds lately, and only come out with creepy ads, but how is this appropriate?? Perhaps it is not quite as... perverted as it could be, but it still soundly strikes the wrong gong.

And while I am raving upon the subject of commercials that ill me, what is up with those ice cream ads?? You know the ones.... The ice cream is sooooo good that it is almost like cheating. Well, it IS cheating, according to these Madison Avenue abortions. In one, a husband comes home and catches his wife in bed, while a giant quart of ice cream hides behind the curtains. In another, two lasses are sitting by the pool, drooling over the hunky quart while it cleans the pool, while the one ponders, "Don't you feel guilty?" and the other replies, "What Bob doesn't know, won't hurt him..."

Maybe I'm being oversensitive, but these just strike me as so completely and utterly wrong. Yes, it is just ice cream, but they blatantly promote the idea that cheating is okay.

It is possible to hock your product, promote a healthy sense of humor, AND maintain morals. Companies do it all the time. Why go for shock for shock's sake???

2 Comments:

Blogger Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

I've also noticed the proliferation of commercials in which the bathroom is a room with HUGE windows and no curtains, facing out at other houses. The whole "Washcloth Pete - No Trousers!" line makes me clench my teeth until my jaw hurts.

Don't mind me, I'll be hiding in the corner with a pint of Chubby Hubby....

3:54 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Thanks to the greatest invention since the wheel, the digital video recorder, I don't see many commercials. Even if I'm home, and awake, when one of my shows is on I'll still wait 15 minutes or so to start watching so I can zip right by the onslaught of Madison Avenue generated Brain-O. As for the kids in the bathroom while dad's in the tub, it's not all that creepy. I don't let my girl in while I bathe, but since we only have the one, non-palatial bathroom she and her mom often share the space. However, I do recall seeing one of those ads while I was making dinner or something and feeling vaguely creeped out since there was a mixture of genders. Maybe uncomfortable is the new tittilated to the advertising trade.

Um, I seem to have rambled a bit. Sorry, I'll get some more coffee and try to focus a bit. Maybe a bath with the family will help.

;-)

oh, and today's confirmation 'word', lexrrqx, sounds like a George Lucas(tm) character.

3:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home