Tuesday, November 20, 2007

So, yeah, the Owls

UF played FAU in game that meant little to nothing, other than helping Tim Tebow gain some records, some notoriety, and a little more hype toward the Heisman. Don't get me wrong, the man's amazing, and he's only a sophomore. I can't wait to see how he does in the next fews years as he matures and develops into a first rate quarterback. My regrets come from having to work that day at the bar, and making little money. I know, I know, money isn't everything..., but there were some much better things I could have done than stand around a half empty bar for hours and hours... It wasn't a conference game, it didn't really mean anything to the stats... Heck, FAU didn't even HAVE a football team until about 6 years ago... It was a "nothing" game.

The one "high point" occurred somewhat early into the evening. I was making a drink order and in my peripheral vision caught a young man reaching over the bar and turning off one of the bar lights. This light pretty much illuminates my work area. It is fairly dark with it off. I calmly reached over, turned it back on, looked him in the eye as he started to deny doing it, and said, "Please don't touch it again."

I went back to mixing the drinks and delivered them to the imbibers, just in time to catch the light being turned off again. I went back down the end and turned it back on. I glared at him and warned, "Don't touch it again." "My mom thinks it's too bright," he muttered. "I don't care. Touch it again and I'll kick all of you out." "Do you know who I am?!" "No, enlighten me." "I'm SC's room-mate!" I laughed in his face. "SC" is my usual Friday evening barback, and he's not all that great at his job. As a matter of fact, he's pretty much the worst barback at "The Dog". If you're going to drop names, at least make sure that they're somebody who actually counts for something....

I told the other bartender, Z, about the interchange, and he laughed as well. Mr. SC's Roommate decided that he wanted another drink, but I was in full ignore mode by time, as was Z. He finally managed to get Z's attention, and wanted to close out his tab. He made every effort to make sure that I was the one to pick up the slip. Of course, he tipped "$0.00", as we had little doubt he would.

"That's what you get!" he snarked. "Not much less than usual, but it doesn't matter, 'cause I'm going to take it out on SC's hide." He stared at me with the blank look that his whole family seemed to share. "You've just made your room-mates life a living hell," I explained. "He works for me, does what I tell him to, and he gets paid whatever I feel like tipping him out. By the way, find yourself another bar. You're not welcome here."

I walked away with a big smile, and they left in a snit that made my cockles glow. I love shutting down buttheads.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm, glowing cockles? You might need to get that looked at.

And well played, sir.
:-)

Wait a minute. Since when do the Owls get to play real teams?

7:01 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Since they get paid lots and lots and lots of cash to do so.

The NCAA added an extra, non-conference game to each college's schedule. Of course the bigger schools are not going to schedule a class opponant. They're going to pick on the little guys, and pad their stats.

(Incidentally, it is because of the extra game in the schedule that a lot of school and NCAA records are being broken lately....

3:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home