Friday, April 25, 2008

My Dumbass Nephew

So, I heard from Mom the other day. Most everything is fine. She says that if I don't call her more often, she's going to move to G'ville, build a 2nd story on my house, and live there. The inside joke is that I once remarked that I was so glad that I didn't live downstairs from her, the way she clomps around... (She's had trouble with her ankle for a while, and has a bad back to boot - she tends to clomp...)

"Tom's Aunt" is coming to visit her for 2 weeks. Now, there's a reason why my mother calls her "Tom's Aunt" (Tom is my brother) instead of "my sister" or even simply "Verna". She's nuts. Not special white coat with extra long sleeves nuts, but more along the lines of "ohmygawd I don't know this woman" nuts. She lives in Waco, TX, right across the lake from the Davidian Compound. Her comment on that was "We sawr it burnin' and like ta wished we had some marshmellers." (Yes, she has a very, very heavy Texas accent.) Yikes. And she's staying for 2 whole weeks. It'll be a miracle if they don't kill each other.

And the bad news... It seems that my chats with Mom always contain some bad news. My nephew and I have never really gotten along. My mom claims it is because I resent him as he took away my "Sissy", who pretty much raised me (and the rest of the crew). I'm really not sure about all that Freudian stuff. I owe it to the fact that Ben is an asshole. Always has been, even as a child. This kid has the remarkable ability to piss you off in a heartbeat. He seems to always automatically know just what buttons to push to get you irritated, and pushes them with glee. And it is not just me. This is how he interacts with everyone.

Worse yet, he thinks he is eight feet tall, and bulletproof. He thinks he is a lot "badder" than he is. He is on the smallish side. He is only about 5'6" and weighs about a buck-fifty. Okay, maybe that isn't tiny, but he is nowhere near the brutish size of most of my family....

I've been warning him for years on end that he was going to get his ass handed to him one day. Someone wasn't going to take his particular brand of abuse, and would beat the hell out of him. Why it took this long, I'll never know....

He was in a bar, running his mouth, and insulted the wrong guy. They "took it outside", and this guy proceeded to whup the living tar out of Ben. Beat him senseless. (i.e. knocked him out) As he was unconcious, and his ear was bleeding, they "Trauma-Hawk"ed him to the hospital. (Trauma-Hawk is the heli-ambulance in the area.) All said and done, he is okay. He just had a broken ear drum. Still a bit serious, but nothing life threatening.

I'm just wondering if he has learned his lesson, or is 30 years of being a complete jerk just too much of an obstacle to overcome? Personally, I hope that he changes his ways, as he is my nephew and, while I loathe him at times, I still love him. Worse comes to worst, maybe he'll realize that he isn't so tough...

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I put up my comment on my blog.

8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home