Thursday, May 15, 2008

Keepin' it Normal...

I don't know why this has stuck in my craw the way it has, but maybe putting it in writing will be a catharsis.

I had stopped at Publix the other night on my way home from work. The Destructo-cats were almost out of dry food, and I needed to pick up something for dinner, anyway.

As I was walking out, I passed a father walking into the store with his young daughter. It was her query to her father that caught my attention.

"Can we, Papa? Isn't that what normal people do?"

Normal people? What's this all about?

"No. We're not normal people. Normal people serve people like us..."

And they walked into the store, and out of my life, leaving me standing there, agape, wondering WTF??

Perhaps I took the conversation out of context. Granted, I didn't know which activity the kidling wanted to pursue, and what their definition of normal people was as applied to her.

Yet, I just can't help but conclusion-jump to the whole superiority thing, and get a little miffed. Not terribly miffed, but enough to remember the issue a few days later... Who the hell does he think he is? How dare he pass on his "airs" to a a small child growing up in this society wherein we are all created equal and endowed with certain unalienable rights?

Oh, well. The eletists generally get their comeuppance, anyway. Don't they?

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

I don't know. That's the sort of thing I might say in one of my more ironic moods. If, for example, normal = 'you wan't fries with that', then the answer was perfectly justified as a polemic against a lack of aspiration. Then again, he might just be a giant douche. Either way, I need a drink.
;-)

7:33 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home