Monday, December 18, 2006

Weekend of Blah

So, the outlook for the weekend was bad before it ever began. Sheeps had Caroling gigs all day long on Sunday, and I had an employee who was, potentially, not going to show up for his shifts, which I would have to cover... (That would have been his "non-verbal resignation", btw...) There was just no way I could make it to Tampa, so it was to be a lonely weekend. At least we'll be able to spend a lot of time together next week, as we're driving to Ohio to spend the holidays with her parents.

Business at the bar should have been brisk, considering it was a graduation weekend, and the last big hurrah in town for a lot of the students before making the trek home to the 'rents. No such luck. It sucked. Hugely. It was just busy enough to make the manager think that no one should be cut, but not nearly enough to "pay" all three of us, sufficiently. Luckily, I had a few of my regulars, who left decent tips, as did Mr. D, so it wasn't a total waste.

Knowing that I wasn't driving to Tampa after work, and didn't have to get up 'til noonish, I stayed and had a beer after cleanup, instead of heading out immediately. We sat and chatted for a while, and it was nice. Not like "the old days" with "the old crew", but it was still nice to just hang out for while. That was my big mistake.

My phone started ringing just after 7am. I'd been asleep less than 2 hours, so was not altogether all together, but caught the gist of the conversation. After Michael's appendectomy, we'd covered all his shifts, but one. The one between 7am-noon on Saturday. Tag. I was it. It was out of bed, shower and off to work in a hurry. I somehow managed to stay awake through the shift, and "J" showed up for his shift, thus saving his job and allowing me to go home and back to bed.

Sheeps called shortly after I lay down, but that's okay, as I was missing her. She'd almost fallen down the stairs, due to a strategically misplaced cat, jammed her fingers catching her balance and destroying a favorite ring. I felt bad that I was not there to comfort her, I could have driven down, but would have arrived after she left for another gig, so I'd miss her anyway. Drat.

Sunday was going to be a mostly "me" day. I'd sleep in, get some things done around the house, and generally relax. Two out of three ain't bad, right? I slept in, and relaxed..., but didn't manage to get anything constructive done... Oh, well. Don't get too many days like that, so might as well enjoy, right?

Went over to Little T's for dinner, and hung out for a while.

Then I had to go to the bar for an employee meeting. K yelled at us for a while, about all the things we're doing wrong. None of them really applied to me, so it was "sit around and wait for something pertinent"... Then he started going over the holiday schedule. Basically, he went night by night, for the next three weeks, and filled in the staff on a volunteer basis. "Monday, I need a bartender..." "Me!" First one to cry out got the job. Some of us have lives, and need to think these things through... I figured it would just be easiest to shut up and let the "kids" have all the shifts. Not like it's going to be busy anyway, so why bother. I don't work again until the 5th of Jan, so it's like a vacation. An unpaid vacation.... That part sucks. I could really use the money, especially this time of year... Oh, well, I can use the break. Then there's the Championship game. I'll have to work. That' s good and bad. Good, in that I should make a nice little bit of money, but bad in that I'll miss out watching the game...

C'est la vie.

2 Comments:

Blogger Alysoun said...

T-man......The size of the break you deserve dwarfs you.....One day.....

hugs.

6:46 PM  
Blogger Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

I'm sorry hon. I know you can really use the money. We'll figure it all out, somehow.

8:26 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home