Thursday, July 27, 2006

I have a deer rifle...

......and I know where I can find a bell tower!

Wow. What an auspicious morning, so far... This is Amanda's last day. She's a marine biology student, and got an internship somewhere in South Florida. I'm going to miss her, as she makes me laugh. She constantly "bows up" on me, flexing her muscles, as though I should quake in fear. I don't know what started it, but it has become a routine, and I laugh every time... She is also a dependable employee, which is a rarity, these days.

I worked at the bar last night, so I didn't get much sleep (about 2 hours), and I wasn't able to get a nap beforehand, so I'm pretty tired.Then I show up to the coffee shop and see that Amanda is all by herself, as opposed to having the normal two staff on, and she is slammed. Mornings require three people on, as they tend to be very busy. I jump in right away to help, and, as I'm frantically making drinks, call Stephanie (one of my least fav's, but that's another story), as she overslept. She starts muttering excuses and I interupt, "I really don't care why. We need you, so just get in here!"

It seems that it is extra busy this morning... A regular informed us that the new Lowe's just opened this morning, so that explains it. We've been anticipating this for a while, as it should mean a noticible rise in business. Just this morning was the greatest timing....

In the midst of all this, I find out that Amanda tried to burn the building down. We pre-grind coffee in the morning, to have filters ready to brew, as we blow through a lot of coffee in the morn. We keep them in a little tupperware bin, to keep them fresh. Or did. Either Amanda turned it on this morning, or the night crew left it on last night, but someone left the top warming burner on on the coffee maker. You guessed it, she set the tupperware on the burner... Smells like burnt plastic in here....

The line in the drive-thru is backed up, and there are a few customers waiting at the front counter as well. Things are a little frantic, but we doing the best we can. A car pulls up to the speaker and, without any pause, whatsoever, a lady says "good morning...?" This is one of my biggest pet peeves - people who can't wait 15 seconds for someone to get to the speaker... I happen to be near, making a drink, and push the button and politely inform her "I'll be with you in one moment." "That's NOT what I said!" Let the steam pouring out of the ears subside and reply, "Good morning. I'll be with you in a moment." The people in the lobby are standing with mouths agape. "I can't believe she just said that!" was the general response.

It turns out that it was a regular, but not one of the "how're you doing today" kind of regulars. She's nasty, picky and particular. I've, on more than one occassion, suppressed the urge to give her directions to Charbucks... I did manage to keep my mouth shut, and may have actually even given her a smile, or at least gritted my teeth so that it appeared I was smiling....

Well, Steph finally showed up, we get the morning rush handled, and I am able to sit down and relax for a few moments, before having to run out like a mad man and get things done. The owners are on their way to the annual coffee conference, in Ohio, so I need to pick up the slack. This is horrible timing, as I'm supposed to go to an event his weekend, but will have to make a late afternoon appearance on Saturday. Gotta run, have to get AC filters, make a Sam's run, get out to FL Food Svc to pick up supplies, and have a bell tower to climb.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

There's this really scenic tower on the UF campus. :-) The next time that charming lady comes in you can always do to her beverage as Randall did to Jason Lee. ;-)

Or if nothing else I'll bet you can find a picture of Jay doing his lovely pose that you can print up and slip into her bag. That's a heart attack we could all live with.

10:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home