Thursday, May 04, 2006

You don't have to call me darling, darliiiiiing!

As previously mentioned, in posts long buried in dust, as a bartender, one hates to hear one's name shouted by complete strangers; strangers who seem to think that all the other customers clamboring for drinks will mystically disappear by said annoying utterance. They'll hear my regulars say my name, and take it as a privilege to use my personal moniker. Au contraire, mein goombas! Not so! It is made even worse when said violators are horrible tippers....

Wednesday is a huge 'specials' day at the bar, which is why it tends to be one of the busiest nights. One of the specials is $2 wells, in whatever form you tend to imbibe it. Pretty good deal. Most folks will get a double for $4, and tip a buck. Not so bad.

One group of young "gentlemen" were ordering well shots, eight of 'em at a time. Eight shots for $16 bucks is not a bad deal at all. They tipped a buck. For all eight. I gave them a second chance, and the next round, eight shots, brought a $1 tip.

No more! They were wasting too much of my time, and not showing the proper generosity to afford said time, so they were cut off. They screamed and hollered for more shots, for the better part of an hour. They did not get the hint. They tried to get my barback to serve them. He politely informed them that he was strictly a "beer guy" and couldn't help them.

Then they heard my named called by one of my regulars, and proceded to shout it, loudly and repeatedly, to no avail. After 15 more minutes of them shouting my name, I calmly walked over and informed them that they weren't allowed to use my name, as it was "reserved for my family, friends, and customers who tip 20% or better"....

Believe it or not, it took them another 15 minutes to figure out that they would not be served again....

I weep for our future.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

If I could have just one wish, it would be that this generation of people, who's sense of entitlement is only exceeded by their lack of common courtesy, be forced to fend for themselves for one week. No phone, no electricity, no service workers to abuse. I wonder if it would take the whole seven days before they start feeding on each other. I'd buy a pay-per-view to watch that.

5:03 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home