Wednesday, March 08, 2006

Old people suck!

One of my squires approached me the other day, and mentioned that Sam's had these neat folding cots on sale. They were larger than your average cot and had a 10 year warranty, to boot. Since Gulf Wars was coming up, he was going to grab one so he didn't have to mess around with an air mattress all week long, and would I like him to pick one up for me? Why yes, that would be lovely, thank you.

Well, knowing this particular squire rather well, I called him this morning. "Did you get your cot?" "Yes, I did." Hmmm.... "Do they have any left, as I need to get one..." "Yeah, they still have some. You'll find them in the camping aisle." Sigh. I knew it! So, off to Sam's I go.

Now, I'm already in a fairly rotten mood. I have to make an unnecessary trip, when I really don't have the time. I, apparently, slept wrong, so I have a shooting pain in my back. This day just hasn't started off well at all.

I get to Sam's, and barely avoid getting run down by a van that decided to back up without the use of those "look behind you" thingamabobs. Well, I survive, and manage to find the cots, as promised, in the camping aisle, and make my way through the checkout, which didn't take nearly as long as usual. Maybe the day won't be so bad after all. As I am walking out, an elderly gentleman behind me runs me over with his cart. Now, I am a big guy, so obviously he didn't "run me over", but he did plow into my ankle, hard enough to completely knock my shoe off.

I stumbled forward, in yet even more pain, and turned, awaiting the apology. I got a scowl and a "didn't hit you that hard." Whu... whu.. what??? "The words you are looking for are 'I'm' sorry'." "Just shut up!" What? "What the hell is wrong with you??" "I'll put my foot up your ass!" What?? Okay, no more Mr. Saintly Guy. "You want of piece of this, old man?? I will tear you in half!!" "Let's just end this peacefully, okay?" Oh, you threaten me, I call your bluff, and now you want to end it peacefully?? "Just get out of here. And watch where the hell you're going!" I never did get a "sorry".

So, I almost had to kick the crap out of an old man. And the worst part? I didn't start it, and I still would have been the bad guy! All I wanted was a little contrition. One small apology. But no. It isn't just the young ones that have no manners these days. It would seem that those that do are few and far between.

3 Comments:

Blogger Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

Next thing you know you'll be kicking puppies and kittens too!!!!!

Poor Turtle. I hope your day gets better. If it's any consolation, a lot of old people do suck. It's not only the nice people who live to a ripe old age. Most of today's angry, bitter and otherwise somewhat unpleasant people will become old farts too, and their personality characteristics will only multiply with age. Not very comforting, is it?

3:23 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Back when I was a barely weaned pup in junior college a good friend of mine had just gotten her very first car...a sun beetle. It was gold and she was thrilled. On her second day driving it, she was in the left lane heading North on Congress avenue, when two old ladies, in a massive land yacht in the center lane, realized they were about to pass the funeral home and made a left turn across my friend's bow. She hit them in the rear panel, tore the bumper off of her car, and barely scratched the biddie-mobile. Upon getting out of their car, the driver very condescendingly asked my friend, "What did you think you were doing, young lady?"
Because she struck the old ladies in the rear quarter of the car she was charged with the accident, although the driver of the land-yacht was given a ticket for making an illegal left turn.

I feel your pain, my brother.

6:52 PM  
Blogger Turtle said...

He started it. He hit me. He insulted me. He threatened me. And when I got indignant and bowed up? Everyone else around looked at me like *I* was the devil. Crikey.

9:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home