Sunday, March 05, 2006

More Random Musings

So, I was reading an article in the local college rag the other day, when a particular expression jumped off the page and slapped me in the face. The article was about "Vegetarian Awareness Day" (bet you never knew such a thing existed) festivities, and the guest speaker, who is the nation's first vegan body builder. He made a statement that his decision to go vegan was a "life-changing experience". Hmmm.... Isn't pretty much every single decision you make in life a life-changing experience?? I decided to get out of bed this morning. My life is changed! Man, I don't know why, but I really, really hate that expression!

Speaking of expressions, redundancies seem to be everywhere of late. We sell chai at the shop. Chai means tea. Some customers will order a chai tea. They are ordering a tea tea. ATM Machine? You want an automated teller machine machine?? Apple Pie ala mode, with ice cream. Actually on a menu. Roast beef, with au jus sauce?? How about an unexpected surprise? Isn't a surprise generally unexpected??? How many times have you heard a store advertise for you to "come in for your free gift!"? Now, a gift you pay for isn't exactly a gift, now is it?? How about "advanced warning"? Isn't it pretty much useless being warned if it's already occurred?? How's about "completely unanimous"? No, it was actually only a partially unanimous vote.... Here's one: for your FYI. What?????

Okay, tonight's the Oscar's. I've no idea what's going on, as I am here at the coffee shop. But one thing about the Oscar's has been bothering me. One of the movie's up for the little golden statuette is "Brokeback Mountain". I'll forebear making any tired jokes. What bothers me is that I've heard nothing about the movie, other than it is about gay cowboys. Haven't heard what a great movie it is. Haven't heard about the fantastic acting. Great script? Directing? Nope. It is about gay cowboys. That's it! C'mon! Are we so petty in this country that that is the selling point? Can this movie actually win an Academy Award because it is "about gay cowboys"???? Look, I don't generally care for most of the movies that get nominated for the awards, and rarely see them, to be honest, but at least you hear how wonderful they are! Oh, well. I think I'll go make myself a latte. I hear that gays drink them a lot, so they must be good....

1 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

The New England state whence I hail has a river that runs through it called the Connecticut River. Connecticut means 'big river' in the language of whatever native American tribe was driven out of there orginally, so the big water wiggle that divides the state is litteraly The Big River River.

And now it's bed time, since I have to get up at 5:30 am in the morning. ;-)

11:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home