Monday, May 08, 2006

Follow up to the schedule from hell....

Well, I worked the shift on Friday for my employee, so that he could have off...

I was supposed to head down to Gathering of the Clans, as my Sheeps was expecting me, not to mention my fighting household. The problem? I just got a new engine installed in my Jeep. I'm not supposed to take it above 50 mph for the first 500 miles. That would make the trip a bit interesting..... In addition, I seem to be having some acceleration issues with it. It doesn't seem to have any "pep" when accelerating. I'll have to get it back in the shop to have it looked at. But I digress... It was determined that I could take the shop van down, which solved my problem. The key was at the main store, as was the van. I'd just stop by on my way to the bar, toss my armor and gear into the van, take the van to the bar, and leave right after work.

Well, I ended up working later than planned, and then had some packing issues, so I didn't get over to the shop before I had to be at the bar. No problem, I'll just head to the shop after the bar, and leave a few minutes later than planned...

I got out of the bar at just after 3am, so was making good time. I got to the shop and was heading to the door to go inside and get the van key, when it hit me.... I'd loaned my shop key to an employee so that he could open the store on Saturday.... Crap!! But wait! I remembered seeing a key to the 13th Street store while I was at the other location across town.... So I drove over there, let myself in, got the key, drove back across town, opened the store, got the key, switched out vehicles, and was on my way. An hour later than planned.

I arrived at the site at 6am, parked the van and headed for the cabin. To heck with the gear; it'd wait 'til morning.... Well, later that morning..... I found the cabin, found my bunk, complete with Teddy Sheep, and passed out. A couple hours later and it was up and at 'em time.

Between the ungodly heat, the lack of sleep, and the illegal blow I took on the back, I got rather naseous, so cut out pretty early. Then it was lunchtime, which was kept light, as it was too hot, and I still didn't feel very well. After that, I had to take over marshalling the fights, well into the afternoon. Then I had to get showered and dressed, as I had to sit up in court. Their Majesties requested the presence of all reigning Barons and Baronesses, for the duration of their reign. Sigh. Court was over soon enough, and I was thinking naptime! But no. We were expected to sit at high table during feast, so I had to get ready. I did catch a very short nap in between, but just for a few minutes.

Feast was quite lovely, and we actually ate until we were stuffed. Usually, you'll find one or two things you really like, and a few you don't, so you actually end up walking away hungry. Not so this one. Everything was great and we were quite full. But I was then exhausted. Sheeps told me to go take a nap while she helped to clean up the feast hall. I would've pitched in, but was just too tired to argue, so away I went. I waddled back to the cabin and finally crashed, but quested my squires, camped outside, to wake me in a couple of hours, so I wouldn't miss any fun....

How fast 2 hours flies... My zone alarm went off, and I awoke to find a squire hovering over me. I joined the gang outside, and had a nice time, sitting around telling NSTIW stories. I don't usually mind sipping a cold beer with the guys, but I still hadn't caught up on my hydration from the day, so I stuck to water.

We talked of many things (though I'm fairly certain we didn't talk about shoes, or ships or sealing wax....) and the conversation turned to Guam. Guam?? Yes. What the hell do you call someone from Guam?? We debated this at some length, and came up with some very interesting answers. It turns out that Guamanian is correct, but I am fond of Guamish.... The conversation petered out and we headed to bed, as I was stll tired.

Morning came too quickly, and we go up and packed and headed for home, wherein I headed for work. It was a verrrrry long evening, as I still hadn't caught up on my rest, and was all I could do to make it through the night...

Monday morning also came far too soon, as the "bitching calls" started early. I was chewed out for not ensuring that all shifts were covered properly during the weekend. Now, if you recall from my previous post, that I went to great lengths to get all of those covered, so I'm a bit confused. Then it came down to the opener on Sunday morn not having a key. I'd specifically left a key in the register drawer for her, and left a message where it was. Apparently she didn't get that message. I found out tonight that she did, indeed, get the key on Saturday eve, so what's the problem??

Well, the problem is that the owner of the shops, "A", is bipolar, and is on one of the downsides of her moods right now. For some reason, I have become her favorite target of late. She is looking for things to bitch at me about. That's fine, as I work my ass off around here, and have my ducks in a row, so let her bitch. I'll just continue to shake my head, sigh heavily, and explain to her how she is wrong. The good part of this is that she is not taking her angst out on the employees, but only on me. That's saves them the unnecessary grief. And an upswing shouldn't be too far around the corner, so I'll just grin and bear it until then.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Damn! Most bogus!!

4:37 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

Not sure which part you are bogusing, but prolly "A"'s diatribes...

It is kind of a pain in the arse, and kind of ticks you off at the time, but it really doesn't mean much, and one gets over it.

It helps to bitch about it :) but isn't really that big a deal...

8:05 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home