Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Bidnizz as usual

Okay, by night, I am a happy-go-lucky bartender, living life on the edge, chatting with pretty women, doing little to no work, and getting paid tons of money to not be doing it… Riiiiiiight. Sometimes, the image the outsider has of the bartender is a pretty ridiculous. It is most definitely not the glamour job.

However, it does beat the snot out of my day job, which can be, at best, described as boring. I process contracts for a natural gas provider. Yippee! Woooohoooo! Zzzzzzzz. Not really all that exciting, but the benefits are good, and it pays the bills. The call center is open until 9pm, so I tend to work until 9 most nights, to process any last minute contracts that may come in. The rates change constantly, so quoted prices can only be locked in for so long…

I just received a call from one of our Atlanta Reps (yes, I do their processing, as well…), wondering why I did not process a contract that came in last night, as the rate had expired. “M” is our Asian Rep, and is, as you might imagine, Asian.

“Why you no do this last night?!” “Whoa, there! Let me look it up! Ummm… because it was faxed in at 11:57pm??” “They own restaurant. Bad economy, no have fax at work. They close and go home and fax!” “Ummm, M? There’s no one here after 9pm. The building closes at 9.” “They no can fax at work! Bad economy!” “I understand that, M, but there’s nothing I can do. You’ll have to refresh the rate before I can process.” “I lose margin!!” (Aha, we come to the gist of the matter…) “Well, either you do that, or you’ll have to send them a new contract, with a possibly higher rate.” “I no tell them rate go up! They fax in on time! Why I lose margin?!” “There isn't a rate deadline anywhere on the contract, M. It only says a deadline of midnight in the program. Technically, the rate, for them, is only good until the end of 5 business days.” “But they no can send before midnight!” “M?” “What?!” “The rate on contract is good for 5 days. Why did they wait until the last minute of the 5th day to fax?” “I call “E”!” (My “team captain”) *click* Two minutes later, I get an email from “M”: Rate refreshed. Please to help process.

I love my job.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home