Friday, June 13, 2008

Birthday musings

I have a couple of friends, T and K, who have been together for something like 25 years now. They have loved each other and made it work while I have been through one relationship after another during the same timeframe. In fact, a lot of people I know have been in and out of relationships during this time. A lot. Yet T and K have found the magical formula and have stayed together. They know what true love really means, and I envy them. I think that I’ve finally found “the one”, and hope our relationship will be as good as theirs.

Only… I’m a lot luckier. I got to marry my love. Y’see, T and K are both men. They’re gay. The law says they can’t get married. I don’t get it. They’re in a relationship regardless of a piece of paper, so the effect is already there. They both work, they pay their taxes… They do all they things everyone else does. Except have a wedding. Because that would destroy the sanctity of the institution. Right? Like we hetero’s haven’t already destroyed marriage. I think that’s a ridiculous response from a bunch of bigots who can present no rational reason why homosexuals should not wed.

I’ve been their friend for a very long time. Their “gayness” hasn’t rubbed off on me, nor anyone else. Nor has our heterosexuality rubbed off on them. They live ordinary lives. They are not freaks. There isn’t a damn thing wrong with them. So why are they so ostracized? What’s the big whup?


California finally got their act together and allowed marriage between the same gender. It’s about time we realize that they’ve the same rights as we do. It really isn’t that big a deal. Yet, the controversy still remains, and some are still up in arms over the law.

Take Kern County Clerk Ann Barnett, out in Bakersfield, CA, for example. As of the 17th of this month, when the law takes effect, she is banning all civil weddings in her jurisdiction. Everyone can still get married; they just can’t do it at the courthouse. She claims that it would overwhelm her staff and pose security risks. Right….. It’s surely just a coincidence that she made said announcement only after learning she could not marry only couples of her choosing. It doesn’t matter that she’s banning everyone, homosexual and straight. The fact that she’s doing it at all shows her bigotry. She really should be fired. Her attitude is archaic, and has no place in such a position. Any position, for that matter.

It’d be nice when it is no longer an issue, and the real question before a wedding is not whether they stand or sit when they pee, but rather whether or not the couple is in love.

Wishful thinking, no?

3 Comments:

Blogger Alysoun said...

I do honestly believe that it's less and less controversial. 4 years ago this issue BLEW up - it was in the headlines 24/7. Now, not so much, And, the bigot clerk is a dying breed.
I hold on to my hope...

AND HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!!!!

7:18 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I have often commented that I know many gay couples that are far more stable than most straight marriages. Just look at the 'family values' party and see how many of them have been busted for all kinds of horrific violations of the sanctity of marriage. Hypocrites the lot of them. And shame on you, ya big galoot. Had I known it was your birthday I'd have baked a cake or something. Happy happy, most non-bogus baby dude!!

7:29 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Beautifully said, Turtle! We should all be as fortunate in our relationships as T&K are!

Wishful thinking? Jeeeeze, I hope not! But having said that, it looks like there's still a ways to go.

I watched 30 Days the other night (Morgan Spurlock's show) and there was a very religious, Christian woman who went to live with a gay family for one month. The premise was should children be allowed to be forstered/adopted by gay families? While she admitted, at the end of her stay, that Tom and Dennis were very good parents, she still could not open her mind to the possibility that gay folks can make just as good, if not better, parent than "normal" people. And it appears she'd rather see children in foster care for their entire lives than, God forbid, a gay couple (or even single!) should want to love and care for said child. I'll leave now, before this turns into a rant. But wishful thinking? Only if we don't do something positive to turn it into a reality.

P.S. Congrats on the wedding!

8:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home