Friday, June 06, 2008

Cats in the Cradle...

Sigh. Life with cats. Sigh.

We're making progress, but it is slow. Impy is still not getting along with the other cats, but at least he is getting better. He no longer attacks everything that moves (and some that didn't). He doesn't his and spit at every cat he sees. Well, at least not all the time. He has chilled a bit and now wants his Mama-cuddle time. He has mostly reduced his protestations to little "meeps". Slowly...

Purrsey continues to amaze. Instead of living a "life in one room" philosophy, she has been much more social. She's still not a "rub against your leg" kind of cat, but the improvement is remarkable.

Sophia has mostly settled in. She is still loving, and will "do your hair" (ech!), but mostly avoids the other cats. No hissing or fuss - she just wanders off when the others come around.

Oliver has adopted a "whatever" attitude. He just finds himself a nice place to lay down, and ignores the rest. He still wants to make friends with the others, and makes the occasional foray into nose-sniffing with the others, but whereas they sniff back, then growl, he shrugs, finds a nice spot, and plops down. "All in good time," he seems to be thinking.

Gray Kitty... Oh, GK. GK, GK, GK! We came home from dinner last night, and he made another break for it. The moment I unlocked the door and turned the handle, he as waiting. Bolted right past us and out the door. I'd already declared him on probation, and that was, to me, the last straw. If he doesn't want to live here, fine! I was all for taking him to the pound when he showed up in the morning for his food fix, which was inevitable that do, but Sheeps talked me down. Yes, that would be the kiss of death for him, and I'd have that on my conscience. She says that this is his way of dealing with the other cats. He mostly hides during the day, except when he comes out to eat. I am still not at all happy with him, but I'm letting it simmer...

He did, indeed, show up in the morning, yowling at the door, wanting his breakfast. When he saw that it was me opening the door, he did not immediately come in. He wandered a few feet away and layed down. I went out to fetch him, and he got up and ran inside. His avoidance didn't buy him much love from me. He was caught up, lectured sternly, and bathed. He abhors getting baths, and made his displeasure known, but he didn't struggle nearly as much as he usually does. I think he knows he's in big trouble. Huge. It is very hard hating a critter that you love so much, but he's making it too easy of late...

Sigh.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for keeping us posted on the happenings up there.

Sorry I didn't get to see you both when you were moving Sheeps.

After reading your posts, I am happy to be a dog person.

BTW, what is "do your hair"?

3:32 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Patience...patience. While cats may be among the most resiliant critters on Earth, they despise change more than just about anything that breathes. They'll settle eventually.

7:17 AM  
Blogger Turtle said...

I was going to call, but there was just too much chaos going on. Upon reflection, I should have invited you over for the "burger fest". The girl at the drive-thru didn't believe me when I ordered 16 Whopper Jr's...

Sophia likes to "do your hair". She gets up on the back of the couch, behind you, and licks your head. I'm quite sure she means well, and is just showing her affection, but it is really creepy, feels very bizarre, and leaves you with cat spit all over your head....

3:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home