Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Just a little rant.....

I was at the grocery store earlier today, picking up a quick meal for work. I don't really have the time to go have a nice lunch somewhere, or even a not-so-nice lunch, so I was grabbing something I could make back at the shop, with little to no fuss. Wasn't feeling too particular, so I just got a bowl of Cup-O-Noodles. Throw in some hot water and you're done!

The couple in front of me couldn't have been older than 18, and had a small child. I didn't go to the Express Lane, as there were 18.4 gazillion people there, and only this couple in the regular lane. Granted, they had a metric ton of groceries, but I still figured it would be quicker. Their bill came out to $300 and some change, which they promply paid for with food stamps. I was a little taken aback, as they'd got a bunch of nice stuff, and I'm standing there with a Cup-o-freakin'-Noodles. Now, I could afford something nicer, if I'd wanted, but it still gave me a momentary jar....

They paid and left the store. I rang up my items, paid and headed out to the truck. Parked right in front of me was this self-same couple. They were loading their haul into a tricked out Toyota, with so much bling P-Diddy was probably sittin' in the trunk.... Fancy, funky paintjob, spinners on the rims, the whole 9 yards.... That's when the anger really set in.....

This....couple.... These....KIDS! Freakin' children with children!!! They're buyin' steaks and such on food stamps, eating better than I have in months, payin' on Unka Sam's tab, and they can afford this car??? WTF??? Where is the justice in that?? Heavy sigh. C'est la vie. So much for welfare reform.....

As a side note - I can afford to buy some good groceries. I make a "quaint" little paycheck that gets me by, and then some. The fact is, though, that I am a confirmed bachelor who works entirely too much, and really doesn't have time to cook. I can cook if I wanted to. I'm a great cook. I just seldom do. I'm rarely home, and don't like cooking for just myself. The only thing in my fridge right now is a couple of bottles of beer, some hot sauce, and a 2-litre of soda. And I'm not kidding. That's all there is. But that's all I've bothered to put in there. I eat on the run, a lot, and don't really have much time for anything else. My own fault. Not societies. I can afford groceries. So there.

Oh, and by the way? The cup of noodles sucked.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home