Tuesday, September 20, 2005

...Enchanted Desert Isle....

Okay, it was a tropical isle, not desert, but what do want for mid-20th century programming...?

Here's the 2nd installment of the Castaway Quiz:

You are not alone on the island. You discover, much to your joy, your man Friday. Who is it? Who will you spend the next indeterminate amount of exiled time with? It could be anyone, living or dead, famous or not, known to you or not. It does not necessarily have to be sexual. It could be an intellectual. Or an entertainer. Or a lover. Or just an old friend. Who shall it be?

I'll go ahead and answer this one first. My choice would be a young lady by the name of Patty Jones. I went to school with her, way back when. She was, and is, representative of everything wonderful. She is quite intelligent. Has a sense of humor that won't quit. Knows how to have fun. And yes, she is very attractive.

Why her? She represents all of my unrequited love. No, that's not quite right. Yes, I had a huge crush on her, as did most every male to ever meet her. But that's not entirely it... I think it is more that she represents the ultimate fear of rejection. I've come to get to know her a little better over the years, though I lost contact about a year ago (and would love to find her again). I would love the opportunity to become better friends (and no, not sexually, necessarily). Do I love her? Of course not. Do I still have a crush? Maybe a little, but the desire to be her friend far outweighs that. Ultimately, I'd love to confront that fear, and get to know her as a complete person. And the fact that all my "old stories and jokes" would be new to her is an added bonus.

Okay, I've bared my soul. Share.

6 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

A worthy choice, old friend. Miss Jones was, and I'm sure still is, quite special. Hmmm, this is a toughy. The obvious answer is some really hot movie star, but I have found that most actresses are a little too into themselves, and that gets really ugly after a while. The other obvious answer is my wife, but as I already spend every day with her, and she doesn't read these anyway, I'll have some fun.
I'll go with Jeaneane Garofolo. She's intelligent, funny, and once she got over the nicotine withdrawl would probably be quite self-sufficient. Plus I think she's beautiful. And our politics are similar.

There you go.

9:01 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow...see, I have infinite patience with music but one person to interact with only ever? My two divorces should tell ya that I don't have that much patience for people lol

Still, if I *had* to pick just one person, I think I'd have to follow your lead and chose an old school-friend I've since lost touch with, Matt Green. He and I were great friends who could talk for hours, and frequently did, every day. While I might have had a crush on him at first (I stepped aside for another friend whose infatuation was a tad more extreme and played matchmaker...Cyranno? moi?), it never went anywhere and that was fine.

Yeah, if I had to put up with one person, he'd probably fit the bill.

11:05 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Considering my success with relationships, I would probably be happiest if we divided the island into two relatively equal halves (assuming a fair split of such resources as fresh water, fruit bearing trees, good fishing areas, etc) and we each lived in our own space and set a schedule for both shared work (today we both work on my side, two days from now we both work on your side) and social visits. And of course there's always bartering... I'll make you items A, B & C in exchange for X, Y & Z. In that scenario it wouldn't matter so much who the person was, although there is a list of people I would NOT want it to be... with President Bush at the top of the list.

If I actually had to spend most of my time with this person and LIVE with them... I know who it would be, but I'm not telling. =)

7:48 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Whoops! Sorry, forgot to let you know which random fan I am.

D

7:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Gee, nothing but the easy questions here, huh. ::insert eye roll::

But I started this game, so I have to continue.

Reading the question, one person popped into my mind. I worked really hard to replace him, but it all came back to this single person.

Handy to have around, qualified in life skills I am not (and visa versa me to him), capable of standing up to me without belittleing my ego/confidence, tender in a way that might surprise others, able to make me laugh until tears are running down my face, likes solitude at times (doesn't need me to continuiously entertain him), really good debater who doesn't win everything, and takes pleasure in those quiet moments that a lot of the world lets pass them by.

And he's not a paragon of perfection. Lord knows I am not! Besdies, living with perfection sounds incredably dull to me.
Thorunn
BTW Marius, if you have that MP, can ya send out the mp3s? ;)

9:30 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll see what I can turn up.

2:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home