Saturday, August 27, 2005

Aloha from hell....

Man. Another sucky week. Okay, maybe sucky is not a word, at least not a very scholarly one, but it sure sums up the week.

The bosses have been in lousy moods. That always makes for a rough time. I've had to make 8.2 gazillion supply runs. The local Sam's was out of lids for the hot cups we use. I had to drive to the Sam's in Ocala to find them, "find them" being key words. I walked up and down they aisles looking for the "cups/paper goods" section. Wasn't listed anywhere, so I did a search up and down individual aisles looking for them. I finally found the cups.... in the "Pet Supplies" aisle. Silly me. I go to the area where the lids should be, and lo and behold, they're not there. Don't tell me I just drove 40+ miles for nothing! Well, I wasn't about to give up so easily, so I decided to poke around and see if I could find some hidden, as happens a lot at Sam's... I actually did manage to find some, on the bottom shelf. In the back. Behind a bunch of other items. I had to crawl up underneath, on my belly, and drag them out. That was fun. On my way out of the store, it started pouring. Not your usual drip, drip, sprinkle, sprinkle, rain. Overcast sky one moment, sheets of rain the next. I was soaked in an instant. I managed to load the boxes of lids into the cab of the truck, and get on my way, shivering in the A/C that summer in Florida does not allow turning off. There was an accident on the road, directly in front of the on-ramp to I-75. Luckily, they were able to move the vehicles off the road, a mere 10 minutes later, and I was on my way. Slowly. Traffic crept along in the downpour, but that's okay, as it wouldn't have been too wise to speed home anyway. Upon arriving in Gainesville, I met... traffic jam! The students are back. The leisurely drives from one side of town to the next are gone. I arrived back to derision. "What? Did you stop for lunch?" Upon reflection, I should have. At least I wouldn't have been hungry....

I missed the draft for my Fantasy Football league. Well, I didn't miss it. I'd logged in, but the system they had was so buggy, that I coudn't make any choices. I've got a very lousy team in a very competitive league. Oh, well, someone has to come in last place.....

Wednesday night was another evening of the uneducated bar hoppers. I think it was my worst night, tip percentage wise, in the 9 years I've worked there. That, and the customers were, in seeming majority, buttheads.

Thursday brought a project of hanging the new menu boards for the shop. Without the materials to do so. I had to run to Wally World to buy picture hangers. While I was perusing the proper section, trying to decide which item would work best, a lady and her young son made their way down the aisle, past me. Mostly. She actually ran over my foot with her cart. Now, if you're pushing a shopping cart, and meet resistence, do you puch harder, or look to see what might be obstructing the progress? Personally, I'd look. She didn't. She pushed the cart harder, and right over my foot. It really didn't hurt all that much, but it was more of shock than anything else.

The new inventory systems keep me at the shop an hour later, after closing. I am now there until 2 or 3 in the morning. It's a lot of extra added work. Well, except when Michael closes for me, on the nights when I work at the bar. I guess it's too much added work for the people who instituted the system in the first place. Sheesh.

We had a friendly little hurricane pop up on our shores, yet again. At least this time it didn't cause nearly as much damage. I'd been worried about my mother, who lives in South Florida, as does the majority of my family. I finally managed to reach all of them, and all is well.

Friday brought another scrambling about town for supplies, and then rushing back to get everything put away in time for "Open Mic Night". We have music on Fridays, and occasionally Saturdays. It has been decided that we would charge $3 at the door, and give a $3 voucher for food/drinks. Essentially, they are simply paying for their beverages early. We'd run into a problem last semester during music nights, with crownds of people coming in, filling up the store and parking lot, and not buying anything. This solved that little problem, but created another in keeping track of the vouchers, having someone work the door, etc... One more system to work the bugs out of....

Friday night at the bar was at least interesting. It was a very strange crowd. I can't explain it, but there was just a very unusual "air" to the crowd. At least they tipped a lot better. There was only one altercation, and I managed to spot it in time and break it up. Well, at least inside the bar. They went outside and commenced to wailing on each other, where the police broke it up. All that, and I turned away true love. (Yeah, right... More on that in it's own post.) I didn't leave there until 5am, and had to be at the shop at noon. Fun, fun, fun.

So, to sum up, I've been working more, sleeping less, and taking a larger dose of BS in the middle. It could be worse, I guess. It could be a lot worse. I suppose I should count my blessings, and I do. But this is my blog, and this is where I get to whine and moan to my hearts content. And no, I don't want any cheese with that....

1 Comments:

Blogger Turtle said...

Nah... It's okay. The job is great, but sometimes dealing with someone in a(n ongoing) bad mood can be a major pain. Like I said, it could be a whole lot worse. I just like to whine here, because, well, it's my place to spew the contents of my mind...

Sorry to hear about all of your own troubles. You're a saint, y'know. Love ya better'n my luggage....

1:40 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home