Wednesday, August 24, 2005

Strange Days Indeed...

So, I'm making a supply run for both shops, in my capacity of "Operations Manager" at the coffee shops. I'm still the General Manager, but we've "redefined" the duties of all of the managers, and I've drawn the short straw of making sure we have everything we need. It's going to be a pain in the tuchus until I can get things organized and inventoried, and get on track with all the nuances involved.

I'd just made a trip to Sam's Club, the back of the truck loaded with miscellaneous goodies, and was on my way to shop numero uno to drop off their share. Sitting at a red light, I was glancing around, just checking out the scenery and noticed the Explorer sitting in the next lane.

On the side of the vehicle was a magnetic sign which read "Mary Kay - Cosmetic Beauty Consultant". Okay, a Mary Kay salesperson - not too unusual. What caught my eye, though, was a similar sign on the back of the truck advertising septic tank repair and service. With the same phone number.... Can you imagine making that phone call? "You want to get tarted up or pumped out?" Oh, well. I thought it was funny.

Another observation: There is very little customer service to be found in this world.

I was going through the line at Sam's, and got nothing but attitude from the cashier. Not a single smile, hello, how are you....nada. I'd put my membership card on top of the first item on the conveyor, as I knew I'd still be unloading the cart when she started ringing me up. She snarled "I need your Sam's Card." I informed her where it was, and she snatched it up, literally, and told me "you need to hand this to me." Okay...... She then told me, not asked, not informed, that I "needed a business check to purchase these items." I told her that I knew, and had one with me. I remained nonplussed, so far. She then said something which I didn't catch, as she was on my "bad side" (due to a rather nasty day in the Navy, not to mention a severe infection as a child, my hearing in my left ear is less than perfect). She griped, "you need to pay attention!" It was at this point that I wanted to snatch her over the counter and relate a few rules of customer service... But I was running late as it was, had to make a trip to shop #1 before heading back to shop #2 (my usual location) as the monkeys were left unsupervised, so I made a mental note to have a word with the manager at a later date, when I have more time to get "indignant", and headed out the door.

I understand that we all have bad days. I do. I have 'em myself. But that does not give me a right to take it out on anyone else. My customers still deserve at least the minimum amount of service standard, and I can gripe and moan about the bad ones... after they leave. This is not an isolated incident. I constantly get rude, or in the very least, indifferent service there. There are one or two cashiers who seem to care what they're doing, including the slightly autistic one who bounces while he rings up your order, calls everyone "Dave", and is the fastest, most efficient employee they have. (I'm not complaining nor being cruel - he really is autistic, and I'll get in his line whenever I see him working.)

They need to lighten up on the FCAT (another rant entirely) and start teaching some social skills in school, 'cause it's getting pretty sad out there.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home