Sunday, August 07, 2005

Happy Birthday, Old Man....

Okay, David was turning the big 4-oh. Dave and I have been friends for a very, very, very long time (and yes, I AM older than he is, but he looks older :)....) Plans were afoot to surprise him with the old gang getting together. Sounds easy, right? Hmmmmf.

We were all to meet at David's house at 2pm on Saturday, while Keith lured David away on a fishing trip, or some such nonsense. David loves fishing, and will go out on his boat at the drop of a hat. Problems is.... Keith isn't really much of a fisherman. I wonder if he has ever been at all? Keith has a metabolism that supermodels will kill for. He weighs in at 112 lbs. Not much of an outdoorsmans at all. Not the best choice of "get him out of the house" plans, but whatever works....

Well, I knew that it was going to be rough going just getting there. David lives in Punta Gorda. I live in Gainesville. That's a pretty good drive, but hey, I guess he's probably worth it. In case you're tuning in, Dave, that's a joke - I wouldn't be anywhere else. You're definitely worth it.

My major hesitation on making the trip stems from the fact that I would just be coming off a hellacious working spree. I worked Thursday night, 'til 3am, went home for a nap and was back at work at 7am. I worked all day, ran home to refresh myself, and headed off to work at the bar, where I would work until around 4am-ish. Then I had to get up at 9am and drive 4 hours...

Things looked even bleaker when I remembered that it was Lance's last night at the bar. Bartenders have a ready access to lots of booze. This is dangerous in the hands of a bartender with reason to celebrate. I knew that Lance would want to throw back a bunch of shots and down a few beers after we closed, and would not let me leave until the crack of dawn... Luckily for me, he started quite early in the evening and was actually kicked out of the bar for being too drunk and rowdy. It's lucky, in that I did not have to endure the farewell celebrations into the wee hours, but not so lucky, as we were now down a bartender, on one of the busiest nights in a long time. I sent my barback to the main bar and made my poor friend Tanis jump behind the bar with me. While he is not really trained, he could at least pull pitchers of beer for me. Bless his wee little heart, he hung in there like a trooper.

As I came home from the bar, the kitchen door was sitting wide open. The last one out did not pull the door all the way shut, and the little escape artist, Oliver, is really good at pushing doors open. Oddly enough, Oliver was sitting in the kitchen, and Grey Kitty, the staid one, the one who never tries to get out, as he knows where the food is, was missing. It was too dark to do anything about it, then. Ever try to find a dark grey cat in the middle of the night?

I managed to get up at 8am, got a shower and headed out and about the neighborhood to see if I could track down the little miscreant. No luck. I was already late, so it was time to hit the road, and hope Tanis and Krista could find him later. I was fairly certain his fat butt would get hungry and come wandering home soon.

I headed out for Tampa, where I was to meet up with Rick, and we would caravan down to Dave's together. Rick was supposed to send me directions to his apartment, but he was apparently operating in "dipstick mode" and forgot. That's okay, I knew his address, so I figured I could find it. Two hours later I arrived in Tampa, and promptly found his complex. I also promptly found that it was a gated community, and I didn't have a code. I didn't know his apartment number. I looked him up in the eletronic resident directory at the gate, but he wasn't listed. I'd tried calling his number, but kept getting a fax machine. I called friends who might have his number, to no avail. I got in touch with Jeff & Glea, on their way to the party, but they didn't have his number either, but had Robin's (David's wife) cell phone number so they would call her, and she could call Rick... 15 minutes later, Rick show's up at the gate and lets me in. Turns out that I had his old number still programmed in my phone. That was one hour wasted....

He loaded up his family into his car, I jumped into the truck, and we were off. Like a herd of turtles... Had to stop for gas, dontcha know... Then it was off onto the highway south to Punta Gorda. With a brief, one hour stop on the highway for rubbernecking a wreck. An SUV had lost control, flipped several times, and landed in the Northbound lane. You'd think this wouldn't much affect the southbound folks, but nooooooooo. Everyone had to stop and look, which backed up traffic for miles.

Well, we finally got through the mess and back on the road, and arrived close to 3, an hour late. Luckily Keith and David hadn't got home yet, but we only had 5 minutes to decorate the house (we brought the decorations with us). It turns out that they hadn't gone fishing, but went to a movie instead, and were due home any minute. We'd gotten the streamers up and filled the last balloon, just as they walked in the door. David caught on that something was up, and knew when he saw all the cars, but was genuinely surprised to see all of us.

I could go into detail about the day, but it is inconsequential. We did typical birthday party stuff. It was fun, it was funny, it was relaxing and nice. The important thing was the company. It was get-together time for old friends who don't really get together enough any more. We laughed, told old stories, kicked each others collective tails in 9ball, and waxed politic. Man, I love these people. They were very important to me in my "formulative years", and are just as important now. Good times.

One point that I must mention though, is the absolutely beautiful house they live in. Huge, gorgeous, and made for entertaining. David has done well for himself, and I am very glad.

I could be envious of what he has, and what he has achieved, but I'm not. I'm glad to see my old friend doing so well. And besides, it's friends like that what drag you up to NYC and treat you to Spamalot, wot, wot?

Oh, yeah, another point: check your vehicle after visiting David & Robin's house... They constantly have a menagerie of animals running about, and they are always looking for good homes for them, so check your trunk, glove box, back seat before leaving..... Did I mention that Robin is a Vet? And rehabilitates critters? Check your car...

I had to work Sunday, so was going to leave late Saturday eve, but I was just having too much fun hanging out with my oldest and dearest, and my poor old body was just too tired to drive 4 hours home. I crashed in the guest house, got up early and hit the road. The only thing I have to say about the drive back, is that the State Troopers must not have made their quota last month, as they were out in force.....

The moral of this story? There is no moral. Get over it. Okay, okay. How about "Old friends are the best kind of friends"? No? "Friendship never goes out of style"? Hell, make up your own. I leave those moral things to Aesop....

Happy birthday, David. Luv ya, man.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

But did the escape artist turn up? Living with cats is like living with two year olds in fur pajamas...

Dulcia

7:23 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

While I will freely cop to being in 'dipstick mode', I thank you for not mentioning the 20 scenic minutes my navigation skills added to the trip down. ;-) It was a great time, and it was wonderful seeing all of you again.

Con amor, Senior Tortuga
Marius

7:44 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home