Thursday, September 29, 2005

Would you believe.....?

With hardly any fanfare, Don Adams passed from our world. He is best known for his role as the bumbling spy Maxwell Smart on "Get Smart", or better yet, to my younger readers, as the voice of the cartoon character Smart inspired, Inspector Gadget.

I'm convinced that his "shoe phone" was the inspiration for cell phones.

I grew up with Max. He made me laugh. Even the beginning of the show, with him walking through a gazillion doors to get to his office, was hilarious. Lines like "Would you believe" and "Sorry about that, Chief" became lexicons in the American language.

And now he's gone. Without any fuss or ado. Bless you Don. You gave me one of the greatest gifts a child can receive. You made me laugh.

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well said, sir. I didn't even realize Don Adams had passed, there was so little press about it. Get Smart was always one of my faves, and the never-ending series of doors and the phone booth elevator will always make me smile. (and so does Barbara Feldon...yummy!)

Anyway, he made a good run of it, and his voice will remain a character staple long after anyone knows who they are imitating. I suppose that is a lasting monument.

4:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Maybe not alot of fanfare, but with alot of sadness. I saw the article on his passing, and took a few minutes to remember him.

I loved "Get Smart". He was part of my TV watching.

May you rest in peace, Don Adams. Thank you for the memories.

9:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home