Friday, November 11, 2005

Update

Having been chastised for not posting in a while, I humbly come before you to give you an update on the life of the Turtle.............

Okay, so not much as been happening at all. Well, obviously things have been happening, as time does not stand still for me, but I can't think of anything in particular that stands out....

Let's see.... Mom update: After living in Florida for 59 years and suffering through 3 major hurricanes in one year, Mother has decided that she has had enough, and is moving to North Carolina. My brother, Tom, lives in a small town up in the NW corner, and she will be moving to be near him. The threat of hurricanes is much slimmer up there, and the cost of living is much lower, so her meager retirement income will go much farther. Have to say I am none too pleased about this decision, as it puts her at a greater distance away, but I have to respect her choice. The rest of the 'clan' essentially feels the same way, except for Diane, our delicate little flower, who is hysterical over the fact. Oh, well, that's Diane. The rest of us sit back in our repressed, stoic little world and accept it. She'll be near Tom, so she won't be alone, and it means a much longer drive to visit, but that's life.

Health update: My knee is still a little sore, and twinges occassionally, but is basically all right. Of course, since I've been favoring my left leg, my right ankle is now complaining loudly. I can't win. The rigors of getting old...

Work: Still doing far too much of it. Last weekend was the UF/Vandy game, and was a close call. The Gators finally pulled in out in double overtime, and the bar went absolutely bonkers. I don't know how much longer I shall continue to work there, as I'm getting pretty tired of it, and pretty tired, in general, but the money is nice. Very nice. Hard to give that up. And the rumor around the bar is that the owners are trying to sell to Keith, the bar manager. I like Keith. A lot of people say he is a schmuck, but he's always been good to me, gives me the best shifts, helps me out whenever I need it, respects me, and, most importantly, I respect him. That part is somewhat of an incentive to stay. I want to be able to help him out. Oh, well, time will tell. One thing I absolutely abhor, of late, is the tendancy for patrons to order a "coke and rum". Apparently there is a rap song, or several, that mention such. It's a "rum and coke", folks. You don't sound cool, hip, bad, phat, or any other euphemism, other than "stupid".

Romance: Not much in the way of that. I'm still a little gunshy, I suppose. There are a few "possibilities" on the horizon. A few interests shown. I'll just take things as they come, and see what life brings. I am in no real hurry.

Well, I needs must head off to work, and then straight on to an event for the weekend, so have to get showered and dressed. I'll come up with something witty, thought-provoking, and humorous later. Or just post some silly question, when one comes to mind....

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Well, even though it sucks that she'll be farther away, it sounds like a good move for your mom. And even though my three years there were spent in the anal region of the state(Feyetteville), most of North Carolina is gorgeous, so visiting will be rewarding in many ways.

6:11 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mom update:
Sorry to hear that your Mom's moving away. I know that you'll miss her being so close.

Health update:
Hope you're doing better. Knock off that old talk, will ya! Your beginnin' to give me a complex about my age! ;->

Work: I passed through town on that particular game night and made the mistake of driving past the College on Hwy 20. Holy Crap! What a madhouse! I thought about you that night and wished you well.

That bit about the "coke and rum" is funny. Mom told me that back in the 40's there used to be an old Andrews Sister's song about "rum and coca cola". Nothing new under the sun, I guess.

Below are the lyrics. Pretty "hot stuff" for the 40's:

If you ever go down Trinidad
They make you feel so very glad
Calypso sing and make up rhyme
Guarantee you one real good fine time

Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

Oh, beat it man, beat it

Since the Yankee come to Trinidad
They got the young girls all goin' mad
Young girls say they treat 'em nice
Make Trinidad like paradise

Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

Oh, you vex me, you vex me

From Chicachicaree to Mona's Isle
Native girls all dance and smile
Help soldier celebrate his leave
Make every day like New Year's Eve

Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

It's a fact, man, it's a fact

In old Trinidad, I also fear
The situation is mighty queer
Like the Yankee girl, the native swoon
When she hear der Bingo croon

Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

Out on Manzanella Beach
G.I. romance with native peach
All night long, make tropic love
Next day, sit in hot sun and cool off

Drinkin' rum and Coca-Cola
Go down Point Koomahnah
Both mother and daughter
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

It's a fact, man, it's a fact

Rum and Coca-Cola
Rum and Coca-Cola
Workin' for the Yankee dollar

The lyrics were written by Morey Amsterdam who used to star on the old Dick Van Dyke Show.

1:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home