Tuesday, December 06, 2005

Greetings from the lost...

Hello, gang. It's been a while. Glad to see you're still around.

Sorry I haven't written much of late, but when you grab life by the horns, it tends to take off at a full gallop... Actually, I haven't really being doing anything "life-horn-grabbing", but have been exceptionally busy. Busier than a one-armed paper hanger. Busier than a one-legged cat trying to bury a turd on a marble floor. You get the picture.

Worklife. Ah....., work. I'm looking for a new job. One in which the main body of work consists of going out to the mailbox every Thursday to collect my paycheck. Heck, I'd even be willing to get paid bimonthly. And no direct deposit for me! I'll work for that check. As long as said work involves nothing more than said trip to the mailbox.... Wouldn't that been nifty?

Things at the coffee shop are fine, though busier than hell. We've become "established" so have a nice customer base. It is cooler out, so we're selling more. We have a new credit card company, so there's new machines to get used to, and train the staff to use. We now have gift cards, so that's an added bit to learn and train... Three employees just quit. One because he got a preaching gig, and that's what he always wanted to do, so we wish him luck. One because she knew she was about to get canned anyway, for being too stupid to live. Another because she only took this job until another job opened up for her elsewhere. She knew she'd only be working a month, but didn't bother telling anyone... ::Sigh:: To top it all off, the staff has been moaning that they don't see the owners any more, that they're never here. So, my squire, in his infinite wisdom, has scheduled all the managers for 7 day workweeks, to make the managerial presence known. Hey! *I* am not the one they've been moaning about!! I'm here all the time!! Oh, at least they are taking turns being here as well.

Work at the bar should slow down, now that football season is over. It's strange. You look forward to it all year, but once it's here, you can't wait for it to end. FSU weekend was utterly and completely insane. Lots of drunks out. Had to get a little physical with one, but only after he'd punched me in the chest, and tried to do so 2 more times. I had to lock him down and drag him out. I was interviewed for "Insite", one of the local college rags for their "bartender spotlight" article for December. It's catered to the early 20's crowd, so I don't know why they wanted me, but there ya go.

I've been helping out at a horsefarm down in Ocala in my "spare" time. In exchange for helping out (mowing, painting, horsecare, etc) we get to ride the horsies, and use them for SCA equestrian activities. Fun!! And I like horses. They can be like very large dogs, which you can ride. Very intelligent. For an animal.

Turkey day was interesting. I went over to Michael's new house for dinner. He'd fixed a gourmet meal, complete with two turkeys and a ham. I think something had oranges in it (though not to his knowledge), as I started feeling ill, and just got sicker as the day went on. I finally excused myself and went home to bed. I guess I am thankful for not dying...

Christmas is coming up, and I really haven't bought much at all. I am usually done with all my shopping around the end of August, but have been really slacking in that department this year. I did do some "day after Thanksgiving" sales, but didn't get up at oh-dark-thirty, and didn't have to brave the crowds. I discovered something: most of the big stores, that run the big sales, have the same specials online. You can sleep in, shop from home, and in most cases, get free shipping. The only difference is that you have to wait a few days to get your stuff. Very handy little tip from you friendly neighborhood turtleman.

Well, that really is all that has been going on of late. Lots of little things that I missed, interesting events and stories, but I can't think of any right now, so I'm going to have to hit this one with the big "done" stamp. I'll post more regularly. Really. No, really!

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just a little note to let you all know how much of a saint the turtle really is. as you all know, he is allowing his squire and family to live with him. what he didn't tell you is how little he is asking for rent and how he has NEVER actually asked for it. He is allways there and allways taking care of us. for i am his squire. I love this man with all my heart and count myself blessed with him in my life. for those of you who know him, you understand. if you just read his blog, get to know him, he is simply the greatest man i have ever had the privlige of knowing.
tanis- squire to the turtle

10:29 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

I'll jump on that bandwagon. I've known Senior Tortuga for longer than either of us probably want to admit, and he is one of the best. Of course I'm sure he dyes his hair, but at least he has hair to dye, so I'm just being jealous.

Love ya, man! ;-)

Wihtgar

10:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'd jump on too, but I'm already on the "My husband is a saint" bandwagon. Still, I rank the turtle up there near the hubby, which is pretty high praise from me. :)

Glad to hear from you, hun. We should do lunch or a wee-hours breakfast some time.

10:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home