Friday, December 16, 2005

Shave and a haircut....two freaks!

Been a weird week. I've been busy, as usual. It's finals time, so the shop has been jam-packed with students, studying all day long. The bar has been jam-packed with those who've finished taking finals, or taking a "study break". After this weekend, it should be over, for a couple of weeks. I may not even work at the bar over the break. The Cantina will be closed, but Keith may need me at the main bar. Hope not. The money won't be too good, and I could use a break myself.

The hair was getting a bit shaggy (and no, Marius, I do NOT dye it) so it was time for a trim. I go to the Supercuts just around the corner from my house. It's convenient, fairly cheap, I'm in and out relatively quickly, and they do a decent job. The only problem? They seem to only hire psychos.

On a previous excursion, the stylist proceeded to tell me I had "nice hair". "Thanks." "Very nice hair. Soooo nice! Such nice hair. Ooooooooh! So nice!" Okay, lady, put down the scissors... nice and slow... How about a nice clipper cut? Better yet, how about a sponge cut? No sharp edges on a sponge! That one kind of creeped me out. Haven't seen her there since, not that I'm complaining!

Yesterday's trip wasn't as bizarre, but strange nonetheless. Had a new stylist, one whom just moved up from Ft. Lauderdale (as gathered by her constant chattering). She was a leaner. She leaned on me the whole time. That was a little bit freaky. She talked the whole time, too. At one point she was trying to set up the other stylist with her roommate, as he was a nice guy, had a job and paid all his bills, and was great in bed. Hello??? Is this really appropriate talk in a public shop? Then she asked me, "Do you clean your own neck?" What? No, I have a lady come in once a week! What the hell are you talking about? "What do you mean?" "Do you shave your neck?" No! "No." "You're not very hairy. Some women like that, I guess." "Ummmmm, yeah." Then she fluffed my hair out all over the place. "This is the Colin Farrell look. Very popular right now." No, thanks. I'll stick with the 'I own a comb' look... "No, thanks." At least she did a good job....

Had an idiot at the bar last night. Didn't tip. Three rounds. Three strikes. Then he started hitting on some of the girls from my "fan club". Big mistake. Reason #87 why you don't piss off the bartender. "Psst, Kylene. You don't want anything to do with this schmuck. He's too cheap to even tip...." "Oh, really???" Apparently, she let him have it after I walked off. He then spent the next 10 minutes trying to get my attention, and was promptly ignored. He started talking to me while I was waiting on a customer next to him. Said he "forgot" and tried to hand me a dollar. "Ooooooh, one dollar? Far too little, far too late. This is how I make my living, sphincter boy, and I only get paid on tips. Do you know what my paycheck for the last two weeks was? One cent. (This is true.) One lousy cent. Cheapskates like you are a waste of my time, when I could be serving decent people who appreciate good service. Good day to you, sir! I said good day!!" Man! The replies in my head are always the best! But what I did was continue to ignore him. And his little dollar. And don't try to hit on my friends, you miserable turd, 'cause I'll cut you off at the knees....

Had a break for a couple of hours today, so slipped off to see "King Kong". I was a little disappointed. It wasn't bad, per se, just wasn't...... fantastic. I expected fantastic. Honestly, it was good. I did enjoy it. Just not as much as I'd hoped. The acting is good, the fx wonderful. It just dragged a little too much, and was about 45 minutes too long. (In the event you are unaware, it runs just over 3 hours...) I would recommend seeing it in the theaters, as the effects really do need to be seen on the big screen. But allow me to suggest catching it on a matinee....

Well, it is getting late, and I've a long day tomorrow, as well as a long weekend. Go in early to the shop, and make some supply runs, then head to the bar where it will either be super busy, or dead. I'm thinking, as most of the students are finished with their finals and have headed home, that it will be dead. I've been wrong before, but I'm sticking with dead. Then there's the "net fest" going on at my house. Bunch of people coming over, and bringing their computers. We'll hook them all into the network here, and play games during all waking hours. Then Sunday is a workday at the horse arena, but I don't know if I'll be able to make that one. Then Sunday afternoon is the bar's employee appreciation party. They open up the bar for 4 hours to the employees only, all you can drink, whatever you want. Bad news, that. I'll swing by, and have a beer or two, but don't really want to get too involved with that debacle... They're good people, my fellow bar employees, but they tend to get a little crazy at these things, and the shots flow fast and furious. It's like crack night at the monkey house....

That's it, folks. I'm off to bed. Hope you all are doing well, and the holiday rush hasn't worn you down....

3 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Hmm, bummer about 'Kong', but then again I don't know if it is possible for it to live up to what we hope it will be. I'll still see it, though. It's kind of a sad statement on the whole cinematic experience that I now consider a movie to be decent if it doesn't totally suck. Maybe I'm just mellowing in my old age.

As for your life-time season pass too the Freak Show, well at least your life is entertaining. ;-)

5:43 AM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Oops, please ignore the improper usage of 'too' at the end of that last comment. The coffee hasn't kicked in yet.

5:44 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow. Psycho Hair Stylists! Sounds like a bad horror movie.

It is very hard to find a competent hair stylist--let alone a sane one. I got lucky a couple of years ago and found a pleasant young lady who has consistently given me a good hair cut. She always pays careful attention to what she's doing. She never chats with the other stylists while she's working. She keeps her chat with me down to a minimum as well. I tip her VERY well.

Colin Farrell look, eh? I also hate it when a stylist tries to give you some trendy look. I had some crazy woman try to convince me to wear bangs a few years ago. "No, thank you." I thought. "I'm not 5 years old and my name isn't Buffy."

Bela

12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home