Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Shopservatrions....

Okay, I'm here at the coffee shop. Have been since, like (ohmygawd!), 2 pm yesterday. The "big bosses" are on vacation, so I'm running the show, solo.

I had to close last night, and open this morning, so I didn't even bother to go home in between. I grabbed 40 winks on the couch in the back room.

Allow me a few observations of strangeness from the shop...

Last night, as I'm kicking the last of the stragglers out (the guy who makes our truffles, a former White House chef; and an employee who was not on the clock), a young man tries to come in the front door. Mind you, this is at 1am, and we close at midnight... "Sorry, we're closed." "Oh, really?" "Yes." "Can I just come in and use the computer?" "No, you can't. I'm shutting everything down." "C'mon dude! I've got a paper that was due at midnight, and I have to finish it and email it my professor!" "Sorry, man." "Please!" "We open at 5:30, you can come back then." He walked away grumblng and muttering. Not my problem, dude.

The shop opens at 5:30 (as previously mentioned) and the opener is due in at 5. I didn't have to be here until 6, but knew, being such a light sleeper, that they'd wake me at 5 when they came in. Much to my surprise, I was awoken by the alarm on my phone, going off at 5:45. I must have been tired, not to hear the opener coming in... Odd, I still don't hear them.... Because they are not here! I jumped up and immediately proceded to get the shop open, albeit 1/2 hour late... Call Lacey, she overslept. Take care of the person in the drive-thru first. OK, call Lacey. Get the person at the front counter first. Call Lacey. Wait, drive-thru... You get the picture. It was 6:45 before I finally had a chance to call. Sure enough, she'd overslept. ::sigh::

The support person shows up at 7, as does Lacey, and the morning is off to a roaring start. A customer who was in the night before comes through the drive-thru. "Weren't you just here last night?" "Yup." "And you're here this morning?" "Yup." "You shouldn't have even bothered to go home..." "I didn't." "Wow, they cant be paying you enough..." "Nope. Have a nice day!"

"Sarge" (a local police sergeant) comes in for his morning coffee. "Wow, you look like crap!" "Gee, thanks, Sarge."

Did get a good laugh this morning, though. I am at the espresso machine, making a latte for a customer, when Darci takes an order at the drive-thru. A heavily accented hispanic woman places her order. "Largz bleck caffee, eggstra cream and shugar." I started to get the giggles at this. Darci looked confused. "Could you repeat your order, please?" "Largz bleck caffee, eggstra cream and shugar!" By this time I am completely losing it. Darci is still standing there, with a confused look on her face. "Not exactly a black coffee, is it?" I snorted. Yes, I admit it, I snorted. I had to go into the back room when she pulled up to the window, otherwise I'd be laughing right at her. Not good customer relations, you know?

To top it all off, M, who writes the schedules, only wrote the one for this week, which ends Thursday. He doesn't come back until Monday. Greeeeeeeeeeat.

This week promises to be a nightmare. I'l be running both shops, running supplies to both, doing the banking for both, trying to work on my truck, getting ready for Hoggetowne Faire, and working at the bar. Ugh.

At least I'll have a bit of happiness this weekend, which brings us to another post.....

1 Comments:

Blogger Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

Can I have a large black coffee, with triple cream, double sugar, a shot of mocha and whipped cream? LOL!

12:19 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home