Wednesday, January 11, 2006

Weirdness, Goodness, Strangeness & other nesses...

First, some weirdness: On the way to the New Year's event, poor K pulled off my street, turned too wide, and clipped a little blue Mustang. An unfortunate accident, but hey, they happen. The girl had a custom license plate that read "KLOGGER". I could make a funny comment about someone holding on to a 100 year old tradition, but I play in the SCA, so that would be mighty hypocritical of me... A few days later, I had to run up to the City of Alachua, a tiny podunk town about 15 miles north of G'Ville. On the way back, I was driving down 441 and a car made a left turn onto 441, right in front of me. She really had enough room, had she got up to speed, but the limit is 65 and she was only doing about 30. I caught up awfully fast, and had to swerve around her. As I passed, I noticed that it was a little blue Mustang, with damage on the rear driver's side quarter panel. "Nooooooo way," I thought to myself, and slowed down to let her catch up, and sure enough, she had a custom plate that read "KLOGGER". How weird is that?

Had to go back to work at the bar last Friday. It was the weekend that all the students were supposedly coming back, but it was still mighty slow. Toward the end of the evening, the front doorman came up to me and said that a Mariachi band wanted to come in and play, and if that was all right...? Uh....what? I sent a message through the register for the manager to come up, and told him. "Uh....what?" Pretty much my reaction! He said sure, as long as they don't ask for any money to play... And sure enough, it was a real, live Mariachi band, complete with costumes and over-sized guitars... They came in, played a bit, socialized and had a few beers. Weeeeeird.

Last weekend was our Barony's Feast of St. Benet, our local Yule celebration amongst the local folk. For those who don't know (and hey, who doesn't?), he was a 7th century man who made several pilgrimages to Rome and helped bring art and culture to England. He is also responsible for bringing stone churches and stained glass... Knowing she's been undergoing some severe attacks of life, I invited the Divine Ms D to come up and join us for the evening festivities, and, much to my delight, she accepted. The feast was pleasant, though could have been better..., but the company was wonderful. Afterward came the "Poacher's Gift Exchange". Those who wish to participate bring an SCA related item, wrapped, and leave it on a table. All the participants draw numbers. He with #1 goes first, and picks a gift from the table. Number 2 has the choice of poaching the gift from number 1, or choosing another wrapped gift from the table... Should number 1 have been "poached", he draws another gift from the table. A gift may only be poached 3 times until it is "dead", and the current holder gets to keep it. A gift can also not be poached right back from the poacher. This goes on until there are no more gifts... Needless to say, I was the unlucky number 1, and was also poached from the most. I kept getting really cool gifts, and they were snatched almost immediately. I got some really great trim, but it was snatched from me by this punk 12 year old kid named Iain. (I'm kidding, he's a great kid.) It was poached from him by Dunkre. I had a gift poached from me, so poached the trim back from Dunkre, making it 3 steals and dead. Mine! All mine! Muhahahahaha! We socialized a bit after that, and everyone headed home.

D had a long drive, so we offered her crash space. I gave her my room, as it is the least cluttered room in the house, and gave her some privacy. And how does she repay me??? By stealing my cat's heart! Gray Kitty took a shine to her. The disloyal feline fell immediately in love with her, slept with her all night, and now struts about the house looking for her, yowling all the while. He used to snuggle with me at night, but now sleeps on "her" side of the bed. Hmmmf. Dumb ole animal! Actually, he's pretty smart, as she is a really great person, one whom I admire greatly, and am glad to call a dear friend. Still..... Traitor!

Leaving the shop today, I saw a very curious sight. I usually pull down the side street, and around the corner to the signal, as it is almost impossible to make a left on the busy intersection. As I was driving down this street, there was an elderly lady standing on her front lawn, with her one hand flat over her brows in that "Indian searching" kind of way, and she was waving the other back in forth in that "I'm over here" kind of way. I figured that guests were coming the other way down the street, and, as it is a *very* narrow street, was prepared to pull over and let them pass... Only there wasn't anyone there.... No cars coming, no one walking up the road. No one! I looked back in the rearview and she was still there, waving frantically. Okkkkkaaaaaaay. So the guests were in her head. At least she'll have company!

Leaving the Barony meeting tonight, I was driving down University Ave, and saw several African American youths come running out of a tattoo parlor, the last one carrying a crowbar. A man ran out after them, yelling obcenities, shaking one fist, and a cell phone in the other. I try not to make generalizations, but it surely looked like they tried to rob the place... Little T wanted to stop in case the police might need our statement or something. It wouldn't really help, as neither of us really got a good look at them, so we continued on.

In other news, apparently they caught a serial killer to be. You may, or may not, have heard that a couple of Santa Fe Community College students were murdered last week, while camping in the Ocala National Forest. There were deep inside, in the middle of nowhere, and they couldn't even get 4x4's in there to get them out, so they had to airlift them out. Well, a customer informed us tonight that they caught the guy who did it. He hitchhiked up from Largo, did the evil deed, and was hitchhiking back. Apparently he got too bold with one of the rides, and said too much, and the driver put 2 and 2 together and stopped and called the police. The guy is the clean-cut, guy next door type, but apparently had snapped and wanted to be the next Ted Bundy.... Thank goodness they got that piece o' work off the streets... Scary world, n'est pas?

Well, it's late, and I've much to do tomorrow, so I must be off to bed. Sleep well, gentle readers, and be thankful that you don't live in my strange world......

2 Comments:

Blogger Unknown said...

Dammit! If you must trump my 'flaming mouse' story, you don't need to pummel it into the ground! ;-)

On the bright side, a wierd life is rarely boring.

5:49 AM  
Blogger Countess Dulcia MacPherson said...

Never underestimate the importance of a really good tummy rub to a cat. Seriously though, I didn't do anything! I was nice to them. I petted both cats. I talked to them like I talk to my cats - like people. I didn't rub his tummy until the next morning. I don't get it....

8:23 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home